Question NO-UNDO upon Creating Table

PrJlndni

Good day Masters,

I would like to ask if there is a way that upon creating a table or saving a record, the record cannot be undone. I encountered an instance that when the record is already saved but it get undone (undo), the saved record is gone. Please share your thoughts about this.

Thank you so much in advance Masters.

Regards,
Pr

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm not quite following this. Your post uses a mix of terminology that isn't consistent. We need to try to reword it to more clearly articulate the issue.

I would like to ask if there is a way that upon creating a table or saving a record...
The "or" suggests you think these situations are synonymous or similar. Creating a table and "saving" (i.e. creating or updating) a record are completely different operations. Creating a table is a schema addition, done online or offline, but it doesn't touch application data.

...the record cannot be undone
"Undo" is not an operation on a record. It is one of two outcomes for an active transaction. The other possible outcome is a commit. A user makes logical changes to a database within a transaction. Changes may include record operations (create, update, or delete) or index operations (create or delete). When the transaction commits, all changes within it are made permanent, or durable. Any subsequent changes to the records or index keys will happen in later transactions (which may also commit or undo). When a transaction is undone, each of its changes is reversed by the server, by applying additional changes that have the opposite effects. The opposite operation of a record create is a record delete; the opposite of an index key delete is an index key create; etc.

For example, let's say a user wants to create a record in a table T1 and that table has two indexes, I1 and I2. As their client session executes the application code that makes their changes, the database tracks their changes in a new transaction and writes information about these changes in the before-image area; these are called before-image notes. In this example, the following BI notes would be written, in order:
- transaction begin for transaction ID 13
- record create in table T1
- index key create in index T1.I1
- index key create in index T1.I2

If the user committed their transaction, one last BI note would be written:
- transaction end for transaction ID 13.

At that point, the user's changes would be permanent and would be visible to other users.

If instead the user rolled back their transaction (undo) then more BI notes would be written:
- index key delete in index T1.I2
- index key delete in index T1.I1
- record delete in table T1
- transaction end for transaction ID 13

I encountered an instance that when the record is already saved but it get undone (undo), the saved record is gone
It is possible for a record to exist at one moment and then to not exist a moment later; it could be deleted. The time line could look like this:

time 0: the record does not yet exist
time 1: the record is created by user A in transaction X
time 2: the record is read by user B, who asserts its existence
time 3: the record is read and then deleted by user C in transaction Y
time 4: user B attempts to read the record and asserts that it no longer exists

As you can see, that sequence of events involved two committed transactions but no undos.

It is also possible to have a situation called a dirty read, where a user sees uncommitted changes. Normally other users cannot see the changes being made by a user in a transaction while the transaction is active; we say that their changes are isolated. But if another user queries the record being changed with a no-lock read, there is a chance they will see inconsistent or phantom data. Here is an example involving a dirty read and transaction undo:

- user A begins a transaction and creates a record, but does not yet commit
- user B queries that record (no-lock read) and sees it, thinking it exists (i.e. that it has been permanently created, or "saved")
- user A's transaction is undone, deleting the record
- user B attempts unsuccessfully to query the same record and in confused to find the record "gone"; in fact, logically it never existed

I should note that in my experience such real-world issues with dirty reads are rare.

You are claiming that the disappearance of the record is do to an "undo". How do you know that? How do you know it wasn't just deleted?

PrJlndni

Hello Sir Rob,

I'm sorry I got you confused. My point is that, can we only use NO-UNDO in assigning of variables?
I wanted to use it upon creating new record
Code:
Create Customer NO-UNDO.
Due to some instances that when we create new record, when it is done, the system says it was saved. But when I reviewed the table, it was not saved. I don't know why.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
My point is that, can we only use NO-UNDO in assigning of variables?
NO-UNDO can be used with the definitions of variables, temp-tables, and input parameters.

Due to some instances that when we create new record, when it is done, the system says it was saved. But when I reviewed the table, it was not saved.
Without knowing anything about "the system" I can't tell you what it is doing. I assume you are referring to some end-user application.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The only way a 'create customer' would be undone is if the transaction that the create is in is undone. Your post suggests to me that you have some transaction scoping issues within your application.
For example, if a transaction bleeds across the whole session, then one error will undo all the work done in that session.
So don't look for the NO-UNDO option, but look at fixing your transaction scoping.
Transactions should in general be small and quick, and preferably on named buffers, strongly scoped to the transaction.
If that doesn't make sense then I suggest you invest in some basic training.

ForEachInvoiceDelete

Does this still undo via a procedure editor or only the application?

You might have some index issues (duplicate unique entries) or the create trigger of that table is returning an error you are not capturing or aware of.

But yeah, as Cringer says, sort that transaction scoping out.

PrJlndni

The only way a 'create customer' would be undone is if the transaction that the create is in is undone. Your post suggests to me that you have some transaction scoping issues within your application.
For example, if a transaction bleeds across the whole session, then one error will undo all the work done in that session.
So don't look for the NO-UNDO option, but look at fixing your transaction scoping.
Transactions should in general be small and quick, and preferably on named buffers, strongly scoped to the transaction.
If that doesn't make sense then I suggest you invest in some basic training.

Thank you Master. I think I need to study more about its scopes.

PrJlndni

Does this still undo via a procedure editor or only the application?

You might have some index issues (duplicate unique entries) or the create trigger of that table is returning an error you are not capturing or aware of.

But yeah, as Cringer says, sort that transaction scoping out.

Hi Master, it undo's upon using the application. The other data encoded don't have any issues. There are JUST times that the application seems having an error upon saving. We still do not know why. I'll study more about my scopes maybe there are really lacking, thank you.

RealHeavyDude

Just my 2 cents:

Transaction and buffer scope are the basics of updating a Progress OpenEdge database. Understanding their scopes is an absolute must to produce ABL programs that perform and behave well. You absolutely should make yourself familiar with them. Otherwise you code might cause long running transactions and accidentally undo database changes when something totally unrelated to them goes wrong ( for example a code to produce a report located in the same procedure failing and the transaction scope accidentally is the procedure block ).

You can easily check the transaction and buffer scope by having the compiler produce a listing file. Have a look into the listing option on the compile statement.

Cringer

Staff member
Not to mention that it's really easy to explode the BI and crash the database which will take all running transactions with it. It's a fun one to demonstrate!

Cringer

Staff member
What is the -L on your database startup parameters? That's usually a good indicator of bad transaction scoping!

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but has a write or create trigger been used to that is failing witch is undoing the transaction.