New to Progress DBA

Arok

Hello,

I am an experienced Oracle DBA. I have a business need to take care of Progress DB as well. I am going through the online documentations to understand the concepts. However, I would like to setup a testing environment to understand the Product usage.

What would be starting point to download the software for learning purpose?

Regards,
Arok

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Welcome Arok! I'd say the first order of business is to find out about the licensing/business arrangement with regard to Progress OpenEdge.

Progress has direct customers (those who buy it for in-house use) and indirect customers (those who run a third-party application developed by a Progress Application Partner). How this will work for you depends on whether you are direct or indirect.

A direct customer will have an account manager who can walk them through the steps required to get access to Progress' various web properties. Indirect customers don't deal directly with Progress. They purchase licenses and obtain platform and application support through the partner.

In both cases, direct and indirect, the end customer does have the ability to directly download their licensed products from the Progress electronic software download site (https://progess.com/esd), once they are set up with a Progress ID (Progress single-sign-on credentials) and access permissions. That link takes you to a login page. There is a Register link where you can work through obtaining a Progress ID.

Once you get access to ESD, you will be able to download the product code and serial numbers for the product/platform combinations that you have licensed. Then you will be able to install the products and get hands-on with them so you can follow along with procedures you see in the product documentation, online knowledge base, offline knowledge base, etc.

Good luck and feel free to come back with more questions.

Arok

Thanks for your response Rob.

Oracle allows us to download the software directly as well the RDBMS is available on cloud as a service for products like Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL, Postgres etc,., Do I have any such option where I don't have to rely on someone for the education? Is there a VM that provides Progress as a packaged product?

We have got the heads up that Progress DB environments are on the way. It might take sometime for us to go through the process of licensing.

As well, is there any certification exam for Progress DBAs that would help to value myself and develop my skills.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Oracle allows us to download the software directly as well the RDBMS is available on cloud as a service for products like Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL, Postgres etc,., Do I have any such option where I don't have to rely on someone for the education? Is there a VM that provides Progress as a packaged product?
Progress does support the deployment of their application server product, called Progress Application Server for OpenEdge, or PASOE, as a Docker container today, and there is talk of doing that in future with the database product, for non-production deployments (e.g. dev/test) but that's not available today.

There is a 60-day trial product you can download, and I think you can also run it in a managed AWS instance. Sorry I don't know more than that. Here is a link you can explore:
OpenEdge Trial - Progress

As well, is there any certification exam for Progress DBAs that would help to value myself and develop my skills.
There is no DBA certification program as such. Some education services are available, for online or instructor-led courses:
Education Services - Progress

There are also some task-map-based documentation excerpts that may be helpful to you:
https://docs.progress.com/category/dbadmin-landing

Also, there are some good third-party consultancies in the market that could probably provide you with a targeted on-site curriculum, if you have the budget for that.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
One last point on training: technical conferences are a great way to accelerate your learning process and gain access to deeper details and insights than are available in the docs or KB. Depending on your location and education budget, this may be another option for you.

PUG Challenge Americas: an annual OpenEdge-specific technical conference, in the New England area, run by user groups:
PUG Challenge Americas
EMEA PUG Challenge: an annual OpenEdge-specific technical conference, in a different European location each year, run by user groups:
EMEA PUG Challenge 2019
Progress NEXT (previously called different names, like Progress Exchange): a usually-annual Progress technical/partner conference, in different locations from year to year (though often Boston), run by Progress:
ProgressNEXT 2019 Global User Conference

The archives from these conferences are a valuable learning resource; you can get slide decks and in some cases, audio or video recordings:
PUG Challenge Americas
EMEA PUG Challenge 2019
Progress Community, search for "Exchange breakout sessions"