New Test DB

skumpy

I have seen this done before but am having troubles. Using Progress 9.1D

I am trying to create an independent Test environment of my Progress Databases on a stand alone desktop.

I used the original .st file to created the db structure, which looks like this:

#
b C:\Test/adm.b1
#
d C:\Test/adm.d1 f 409600
d C:\Test/adm.d2 f 409600
d C:\Test/adm.d3 f 409600
d C:\Test/adm.d4 f 409600
d C:\Test/adm.d5

when I attempt to do a prorest of my backup file, I receive the following error:

Area number mismatch, backup has 0, database has 6. Restore Failed.

I Don't understand this error, my structure file is not including any areas so I am not sure how my db can be created with areas.

this is the same .st file used to create the original db.

Any ideas?

Kace

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully this KB should help.... looks like you need to ftp the database files over and do a prostrct repair, instead of using probkup/prorest.

ID: P14858
Title: "Restore of database failed with Area Number mismatch, backup has 0, database has 6"

Created: 11/29/2002
Last Modified: 11/20/2003

Facts:
Progress 9.1X
Windows NT 32 Intel/Windows 2000
Linux Intel

Symptoms:
Errors occur during a PROREST operation.
Restoration of the Progress database fails.
Area Number mismatch, backup has 0, database has 6
Restore failed. (1618)
!!! ERROR - Database restore utility FAILED !!! (8564)

Cause:
Backup of database was done on Linux then a restoration of this same database was attempted on a Win32 operating platform.

Fixes:
This is not supported by Progress Software. There is no fix at this time. Progress 9.1x PROBKUP archives are not operating system independent.

Notes:
You might attempt to FTP your database files (in binary mode) from your Linux box over to your Win32 machine, then use the PROSTRCT REPAIR command. However, please be aware that this process can not be endorsed nor supported by Progress Software Technical Support.

skumpy

Thanks Chris, I did bring the db over from a Linux Box... could you help me out with the command line for doing an ftp in binary mode?

Much Appreciated, Kace

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
At the ftp command prompt just type "bin".

PSC has taken steps to prevent this from working at all in version 10. It's not just unsupported -- they actively prevent it via "feature codes" that are embedded in the db. (So don't get used to be able to do it...)

cmorgan

skumpy said:
Thanks Chris, I did bring the db over from a Linux Box... could you help me out with the command line for doing an ftp in binary mode?

Much Appreciated, Kace

Whoa.

You can't bring a database directly from linux to Windoze. You'll need to dump and load if you want to change platforms.

bulklodd

You can't bring a database directly from linux to Windoze. You'll need to dump and load if you want to change platforms.

I think it's possible with 9.1 but ONLY for test purposes. In OE10 this thing can't be done or I don't know how :) but I still think it'd be useful to have such possibility at least for the development purposes.