New Server Suggestions

rymco

Although we are only considering MFG/Pro right now, I wanted to get an idea on hardware requirements I can expect if we go ahead with this solution.

Our Phase I implementation would see about 10-15 users on the system which could grow to a maximum of 25 in the next 5 years. I would classify our business as having a fairly low transaction volume.

I'm currently specing out the following system: Dell 2800 Tower, 3.0GHz/1MB Cache/800MHz FSB, 2GB RAM, Dual Onboard NICS, Redundant Power supply, etc.

I understand that Progress has four different segments that need consideration when designing the I/O subsystem: OS, AI, BI and Data (I'd appreciate a short definition of these components). From what I've gathered, three arrays would cover my requirements: RAID 1 - OS, RAID 1 - AI/BI, RAID 1 - Data. Would anyone suggest (nobody yell please) a RAID 5 array for the Data? Another ERP vendor uses SQL Server and suggests a RAID1, RAID1, RAID5 configuration under similar conditions.

On a separate note, what size drives should I consider for the MFG/Pro solution for OS/AI/BI/Data? 18GB? 36GB? 72GB? I'll assume 15k RPM unless someone says otherwise...

Thanks in advance for any input...

mssusr9501

I am a long way from being an expert but I'll try to fill in some of the blanks.

I presume OS means the Progress install, this is not very large compared to other aspects and is relatively static.

AI/BI are the After Image and Before Image files. The DB uses these to manage disrupted transactions, storing images of records before and after changes are committed. They both incurr a performance hit, my company runs BI only. We truncate BI to zero on a regular basis to keep it from causing problems

Data obviously is the database, very dynamic and critical to the business. My company runs distribution and financials, approx 50 users (2 shifts) for 5 years with no Delete/Archive (predecessor did not have optimal habits). Our DB is about 4.5 gig at this time.

My limited understanding of disk set up and size is that the more spindles and controllers the better. We have our DB extents spread across three drives run by two controllers. Our hardware is pretty old, we were trying to spread out the I/O load to the extent possible

Hope this helps.

Bruce

franseslag

Server needs

Hello,
In my idea the specifications you want for the server for MFG/Pro are a bit overdone.
We (matino) run for the users on our different plants simple Intel machines from Compaq (HP) . For example for the users in the Netherlands this still is a PIII-500 with 500 Mb memory. Still gives a good response.
For the disks we use 6 physical disks, 2 in RAID1 for the OS (Win-NT) and 4 in Raid5 for evrything that has to do with MFG/Pro, so the database, the programs and the BI.
Since these Raid systems give you a high guarantee of the disks staying available we have never used the BI sofar, we run since end 1999. Disks have been broken and exchanged, but never as far as 2 disks in one Raid set. I've never heard of other people that have had 2 disks in one Raid set broken at the same time.
Since we still run MFG/Pro 8.6E and Win-NT, we have to look to upgrade, since all of this is out of the life-cycle. In my idea the needs of the server are not all to high, not even in the GUI environment we run.
My advice would be not to overdo on the servers excpence for these kind of user numbers, that would just be a waste of money.
Regards,
Henk