New Code Syntax Highlighting

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi Chris,

It's great to have syntax highlighting for ABL now; thanks! But I was expecting to see an additional code option, rather than a behaviour change in the existing one; let me explain. When I use the advanced editor ("More Options...") and select the code button on the toolbar I get a dropdown with three options: General Code, PHP, and HTML. I thought there would now be a fourth option in the dropdown, ABL. The reason I would prefer this is that although I often use "General Code" to post ABL code, that's not all I use it for. I also use it for shell scripts, DB utility output, structure files, and generally anywhere I want to easily format text with a monospace typeface. Using the now ABL-specific General Code formatting option for these things results in strange-looking output.

Here is an example:
Code:
proutil db100b -C dump customer . -index 0
OpenEdge RELEASE 10.0B04 AS OF Mon Feb 20 23:45:37 EST 2006
Performing TABLE scan FOR dump OF TABLE customer
Dumped 83 record(s). (6127)
Binary Dump COMPLETE. (6254)

Is it possible to have separate options for ABL Code and General Code?

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chris,

It's great to have syntax highlighting for ABL now; thanks! But I was expecting to see an additional code option, rather than a behaviour change in the existing one; let me explain. When I use the advanced editor ("More Options...") and select the code button on the toolbar I get a dropdown with three options: General Code, PHP, and HTML. I thought there would now be a fourth option in the dropdown, ABL. The reason I would prefer this is that although I often use "General Code" to post ABL code, that's not all I use it for. I also use it for shell scripts, DB utility output, structure files, and generally anywhere I want to easily format text with a monospace typeface. Using the now ABL-specific General Code formatting option for these things results in strange-looking output.

Here is an example:
Code:

Is it possible to have separate options for ABL Code and General Code?

Good points Rob.

For posting formatted text like above, you can use the BBCode code="text" to do what you are looking for.

Code:

I am trying to see how to get this and the other language options added to the insert code box.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
FWIW I *despise* upper case keywords and I do not appreciate having my code samples turned into that dross.

That is how I identify code that was copied out of the manuals or generated by the UIB/ADM/Whatever. None if which is what I would call something to be proud of.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
FWIW I *despise* upper case keywords and I do not appreciate having my code samples turned into that dross.

That is how I identify code that was copied out of the manuals or generated by the UIB/ADM/Whatever. None if which is what I would call something to be proud of.

Good suggestion, I changed the configuration to leave keywords as is in whatever case they may be in.

Code:
for each customer where cust-no eq 1:
  display customer.name with 1 column.
end.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
From time to time I seem to be getting "An unexpected Database error occurred" when loading pages. This has only started happening since this add-on was done. Could be a coincidence of course. I'm running Chrome in case that's the issue.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I've seen that a few times in the last week. I assumed it was my page refreshes coinciding with Chris' maintenance activities.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
From time to time I seem to be getting "An unexpected Database error occurred" when loading pages. This has only started happening since this add-on was done. Could be a coincidence of course. I'm running Chrome in case that's the issue.

I've seen a few of these as well. I upgraded the MySQL database at the same time, and suspect that is the issue. Will investigate and let you know.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Just got it again...
An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I saw a few of those database errors today. At least a couple of them happened when I was hovering the mouse cursor over the Alerts link, which typically expands on mouseover. In this case it didn't expand and threw the error.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I've tried a few things but kept seeing the database errors. Last night I downgraded MySQL from the newer 5.6.x release to the latest 5.5.x release. Since then, I have not seen the issue. Let me know if anyone sees these. Thanks!