Need ODBC driver to connect Progress to SQL Server

Mark123

Hi,
I have to migrate our existing Progress databases to SQL Server. As far as I know there are so called ODBC drivers (or something like that) that may help in such migration to move data from Progress to SQL Server.

My environments are :
Progress version 9.1e running on Unix.
SQL Server 2005 32-bit (but eventually will be 64-bit), running on Windows NT 5.2.

My questions may sound trivial, but i need to start from somewhere:
Where can I get these ODBC drivers ?
Are there other alternatives to ODBC drivers for migrating purposes ?

Thanks

bigelliot

Mark,
I'm sorry to say that I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to bump this because I have the same problem. In my case, I know perfectly well how to connect a Progress v9 DB to a MSSQL2000 DB (and vice versa), and how to connect an OE10 DB to a MSSQL 2005 DB... but I need to do the same as you -- connect a Progress v9 DB to a MSSQL2005 DB.

Anyone have any hints?
Elliot

Mark123

Elliot,

This is actually not so bad news, we have SQL Server 2000 in our environment as well, so if it is impossible to connect Progress to 2005 I am going to do it to 2000 and then upgrade with detach/attach or backup/restore to 2005.

So let me ask you the next question: how to connect to Progress from within SQL Server 2000 ? Do I need to have ODBC or I can do it with Linked server ? Should I be a member of sysadmin role in 2000 server ?

Thanks,

Mark

bigelliot

Elliot,

This is actually not so bad news, we have SQL Server 2000 in our environment as well, so if it is impossible to connect Progress to 2005 I am going to do it to 2000 and then upgrade with detach/attach or backup/restore to 2005.

So let me ask you the next question: how to connect to Progress from within SQL Server 2000 ? Do I need to have ODBC or I can do it with Linked server ? Should I be a member of sysadmin role in 2000 server ?

Thanks,

Mark

From within SQL Server (either 2k or 2005) we use the Merant/Data Direct ODBC driver to connect to Progress.

For Progress v9, the Merant v3.6 client
For OE10, the Data Direct Open Edge driver (comes with OE10)

Setup your DSN, then create a linked server, and you're done.:cool: