Question NameServer configuration and licencing

WorkInProgress

Need to understand NS config and licencing.

1. Is there any limit to the number of brokers as per licence, like tehre is for no of agents? (i could not find that in the showconfig results).
2. How many NS instance can we define in ubroker.properties file under NameServer if we have licence for 1 NS(Enterprise level)?
3. currently we have like NS1-I, NS1-E, NS2-I and NS2-E. Is it a violation or we can have as many as these NS instances, provided only one Service is running?
4. Is it possible to config a new WS broker which can accept/manage request from a web app when certain .p's are accessed? Can we do this from CGI script file?

WorkInProgress

Need help!!!
I have added a new broker in ubroker.properties file. When i try to start it, it gives me following error:

S-0001>(Jan 2, 2014 13:40:10:111) ERROR: cannot start server. (8100)
L-8982>(Jan 2, 2014 13:40:10:117) Exception unbinding broker (not bound) : WSB2 (8525)
main>(Jan 2, 2014 13:40:11:118) ubroker v91E (23-Feb-06) done. (8041)
main>(Jan 2, 2014 13:40:11:119) Log Closed

I checked the port via netstat, and it does not show anything.

I have not restarted any service yet and this broker is a replica of an already running broker. only difference is broker-name, UUID, log files.

Do i need to restart nameserver and WSAdmin services also?

Please help!!!

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't harm to restart the nameserver and WSAdmin services. So worth a shot surely?

RealHeavyDude

You don't tell anything about your Progress/OpenEdge version but from the error message I'll suspect it is 9.1E. 9.1E is Stone Age software. As far as I remember the Amin Server does not automatically pick up changes that you made to the ubroker.properties manually for example with an editor - you must restart the Admin Server for it to pick those changes up. I am not 100% positive but I think this is still true for OpenEdge 10.

Furthermore, you should never use dash in names. For one it might be a problem in languages not supporting it. But more prominently, there might be logic that parses strings for Unix style parameters the won't handle them correctly. I strongly recommend you to change the names so that they don't contain any dashed anymore.

Google'ing might help you
https://www.google.ch/#q=8525+site:knowledgebase.progress.com

There are numerous reasons as to why the borker can't start an agent. Most prominently ( not in that particular order ):
  • The database connection information is not correct
  • You are pointing to a file that does not exist or you do not have access rights to ( might be the log file or a parameter file )
  • Your PROPATH is not correct
Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

WorkInProgress

Thanks Cringer and RHD. I did a clean rstart of WSAdmin, brokers and NameServer and cleared ports of any processes running on them and it worked. Thanks.
I have another question. Is it possible to route requests from one .p file to a particular broker only?
I have seen a possible solution using cgiip command in messenger. Is there any other way to do it?

RealHeavyDude

Sorry - I've never though about re-directing a requst for a particular .p to a particular WebSpeed Broker only. What is the reason behind the requirement? I am asking because understanding the requirement might bring up alternative solutions you did not consider yet.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.