My Database Driver is a “Performance Booster”

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Reser

file_77-300x142.jpg
Oh, the age old question of how to get your data from Point A to Point B. Organizations store data differently – some use the cloud, others favor on-premise databases, virtualization, etc. One element all of these methods have in common is that they need a premium driver. A premium driver is more than just a driver – it’s a cost reducer, performance booster, security feature, and more. In our new blog series, “My database driver is a __________,” we will expand on various driver benefits that may not immediately come to mind when one thinks “database data driver,” but will ultimately help improve business processes.

First up is performance – the most important feature when it comes to accessing data. You want real-time access to Salesforce.com? Are you looking to make sure your application has quick response times? Then you’ll need an efficient and well-performing driver. Database drivers influence performance on many levels by impacting the amount of disk I/O, network I/O, CPU efficiency and memory usage. Many performance issues turn out to be problems or bottlenecks caused by a poor quality driver. In fact, an application can often support more users or return faster results simply by switching to a high-performance database driver.

DataDirect Connect database drivers (for ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET) dramatically outperform competitive drivers in throughput, CPU efficiency and memory footprint, resulting in faster response times, more scalable applications and less hardware requirements. Choosing a high-performing driver can benefit all types of applications, but is particularly valuable for:

• Mission-critical business applications
  • Applications that handle very large amounts of data
  • Multi-user, server-based application deployments
  • Applications running over slow, or high latency network topologies
  • Applications running within a virtualized server environment

DataDirect customers typically see a 20%-500% application performance improvement over competitive drivers. You may recall a recent blog post that explained how the Yamaha Motor Europe dealer website was able to function 20 times faster than with another driver, increasing page load times by a factor of ten.

So, how can drivers impact your performance specifically? Our performance calculator can help determine the performance and efficiency gains that you can expect. Check it out here and below. You can also Tweet your performance related questions to @DataDirect_News.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.