Answered Multiple progspec.ini

Hello,

While standardising our way of working I just encounter a question about the progspec.ini file.

In it we can setup things like working directories amongs other things.
My question is about color for background & foreground, and for fonts.
is it possible to have one progspec.ini for color and font and the other one for more personalized things ?

Best Regards,

BobyIsProgress

Yes today we are 3 developper to work. So we have each one of us a personnalized folder for R&D dev and so we have personnalized "PROPATH"
Like that we also have personnalized "recent file list"

Stefan

A personalized folder / propath sounds like you are not using version control? Local dev = 'personal'.
Your 'recent file list' is the thing which I continuously undo from version control if I accidentally use the procedure editor.

Unfortunately you cannot stack INI files:

Code:
prowin -inifile abc.ini -inifile def.ini
Will only report that def.ini does not exist since it ignores abc.ini.

Today we have nothing to version control our code.
I planned on maybe implementing git with tortoize extention but not realy sure of the best pratice choice on this matter.

Thank you for your time and answer :)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you moved your development to PDSOE, you could have source-control integration (e.g. Github and others) and also be able to set AVM attributes like PROPATH at the project level without having to deal with .ini files.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Thank you for the tips.
We are looking to have it.
@Rob Fitzpatrick do you know if it's available for OE10.2B.05 ? I'm sure for OE 11. But not for OE10.

Best Regards,
Back in v10 the Eclipse-based IDE product was known as OpenEdge Architect. It was later rebranded to Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge (PDSOE).

I hope you plan to upgrade OE, as v10 is long since retired. In the meantime, you should at least install SP08. I don't know of any good reason to still be back on SP05.

Food for thought: my application is designed for compatibility with many OE releases, back to early v10. But I do my dev work with modern tools. I am using v12.4 PDSOE, soon to move to 12.5. Supporting old environments doesn't necessarily entail suffering with old tools.

We already have one of our database that is on 11.7 and planned to try PDSOE on this server to see how well it will improve our dev life.

After that we will see to upgrade every database we have in 11.7. Our editor only certify our ERP for 11.7 for now.
I don't know if it's mandatory to test everything for a progress upgrade from OE 10 to OE 11, because we are not changing the code just compiling it in a much up to date version.
From my point of view if it's work on OE 10 it works on OE 11.

WHat are your thought on that ?

Stefan

I don't know if it's mandatory to test everything for a progress upgrade from OE 10 to OE 11, because we are not changing the code just compiling it in a much up to date version.

In an ideal world in which bugs do not exist, you are correct.

My priorities in your case would be:
  1. source control
  2. automated builds (pct)
  3. automated testing of these builds
  4. continuous integration
Modern tooling helps for all of the above. When introducing a new version of anything in your stack (OS / Progress / your code / 3rd party code), you should not be relying on assumptions. You need to be able to just start automated tests to confirm that it works correctly.

Stefan

What kind of automated test could we run if we based our model on the default database of progress? I'm a bit lost on how to build them.
What does your software do? How can you prove that your software works correctly? Are there parts of this proof that can be automated?

When we do a test run for upgrading the software (not the database) we test all the process, it means to be able to:
Create customer
Create vendor
create purchase order selling order and more, so all the process, but many parts of our software is sourced closed so

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
We already have one of our database that is on 11.7 and planned to try PDSOE on this server to see how well it will improve our dev life.

After that we will see to upgrade every database we have in 11.7. Our editor only certify our ERP for 11.7 for now.

A while back, someone asked about upgrading from 10.1A02 to 11.7. So that's quite similar to your situation. This was my response, I hope you find it useful:
Question - Does anyone have a demo of Progress database migration?