MSComm32.ocx

jon

I have a question about reading a serial port with
help of the MSCOMM32.ocx. The problem is that
after I have registered the OCX succesfully and try to
put the control on a Progress window the following error occurs "Unable to create control, the licence file
for the specific Activex control was not found". This licence problem might be caused by the fact that
VB6 and/or MS-Office2000 is not installed on the machine, but I am only guessing. Is there a way to make this work without installing VB6 and/or MS-Office 2000, I hope the answer is Yes.

Thanks.

jamesmc

Hi there Jon,

This is something I found on the Internet:

"If your application is receiving an "Unable to create control" error, this is a sure sign that your system is low on system resources. Due to the nature of Windows and Windows applications, it is possible that this is the result of a cumulative loss of resources over time. Some applications load shared resources and do not release these when they exit. While the resources not released by one application are not great, over time the accumulation of several applications doing the same thing can result in low resources. If this is the case, re-booting the machine may help free some unreleased resources. You can also reclaim some resources by closing other applications. If neither of these alleviates the situation, the only other option is to reduce the number of controls being displayed. This may involve reducing the number of open forms, or by reducing the number of controls on your forms."
HTH,

James.

jon

Thanks James, but I think it's not a problem of to less
available system resources. The only environment I opened is Progress, when I create a new window and try to put the OCX on the window the error occurs, this happens on several machines.

jon

I installed the Microsoft Visual Basic Control Creation Edition and I get the same error again. But I have just
read on the same site that this OCX requires licensing
by installing Visual Basic 5 or Visual Studio 97 Proffesional edition, so I think it's all clear for me now.

Thanks for the reply.