Ms Access And Openedge 11.3 Error

DDH

We have several MS Access databases connected to a system that runs Progress. We have recently upgraded the backend system and are trying to update our MS Access databases to link to the new tables. We have installed the OPenEdge 11.3 odbc drivers. We can connect and see the new list of tables, but when we try to link to one, we get error -7748. In the past, we had to add a registry entry in the ODBC driver called WorkArounds2 and set it to 8192. That resolved the error with all our 10.x ODBC driver versions, but does not seem to resolve the error with the 11.3 driver. Any suggestions? I cannot find anything in any documentation other than setting the WorkArounds2 option. Thanks.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
"Reserved error (-7748); there is no messge for this error."
Wow that's helpful! The only other reference I can find to this other than workaround2 is to do SQL Width Scan w/Fix Option. Have you tried that?

DDH

I have read the article (and many others) suggested above. I have even read an article on the Progress site that shows all the possible values of WorkArounds and WorkArounds2 (and tried a few others, hoping for a miracle!). Again, that solution worked for the 10.x versions of the driver, but not the 11.3 version. I am not familiar with the SQL Width Scan. I will look it up.

TheMadDBA

Can you provide your OS and Access details? (verions, 32 or 64 bit)

Is your 11.3 install 64 bit or 32 bit?

Which registry key/branch are you putting the Workaround2 option in for the 11.3 install?

DDH

64 bit Windows 7
Access 2013
11.3 install is 64 bit
Registry entry is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ODBC -> ODBC.INI -> Arlington (where Arlington is the datasource name)

TheMadDBA

Ok... so the DSN is a system data source and not a user datasource right?

Have you tried the combination of WorkArounds=16777216 and WorkArounds2=8192?

And I assume you recreated the Access links after you changed the DSN settings?

DDH

Yes, DSN is system DSN. I did try the combination you suggested and it still throws the same error. The access links have not yet been created, so nothing to recreate. It's when I'm trying to create the link that I hit the error. I can login and see the list of table names from which to pick, but once I select a table, I get the error. I, did, however, create a brand new Access database and start over from scratch, just in case. Thanks. Keep the ideas coming!

TheMadDBA

hmmm. Contact progress support and see what they say?

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the odbc drivers are set up with the appropriate 32 or 64 bit odbc manager. In theory that should give you different issues though.

Do you see any advanced options for the odbc driver in the dsn set up? Like extra or extended options?

DDH

Solution... For some reason, MS Access does not like it when you create the 64-bit ODBC datasource through the Control Panel/Admin Tools and add WorkArounds2=8192 directly as a registry entry and then just try to use that datasource. Instead you need to create (or recreate) the ODBC datasource from within Access. When you do this, on the Advanced tab in the Extended Options field, add WorkArounds2=8192, and it works. It's somewhat odd, because effectively all this seems to do is put that exact same value in the registry, but it works, so I will happily move on and leave that as one of life's little mysteries!