MozyPro Backups

One of our customers is using MozyPro to backup up a Windows 7 PC which has a Single User version of our application installed on it. I'm not familiar with it, but it looks to be an incremental backup-to-the-internet-as-you-go product, which seems like it could pose some problems for a Progress database. (Yes?) Our app does not need to run 24/7, obviously since this install is a single user db, so it can be done at night without a problem.

To backup our database, my current thinking is to schedule a Progress backup each night and backup the database to a unique file name (date stamped) and then purge previous backup files. So each night a MozyPro will see a NEW file which will get backed up in its entirety.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I'm not familiar with MozyPro but I assume you should be able to set exclusions, i.e. files or directories that should not be backed up. I would back up the DB with probackup, set it to exclude the DB directories, and have it back up the probackup file to the cloud. I would exclude the DBs because an OS-level backup of a running DB won't do you any good.

As you said, it's a good idea to name them uniquely so you have access to more than just the latest one. It's also not a bad idea to back up the DB structure files and an up-to-date schema dump.