Moving to Type II Storage

comatt1

RTB v10.0A
Progress OE10.0B03

Prior to arriving at my current company, our database and application had been upgraded without Type II Storage Areas. This is something I would like to change, however, the dump and load procedure is something I do using mainly the methods provided in conversion.p from Progress.

How will these database changes affect RTB, and how should I account for these within RTB?

comatt1

The only concern with RTB being unaware, would be creating future tables within a database. If I have type II storage areas now, I should (well, NEED) to be able to specify a storage area for that table to associate itself with (along with the indexes).

Mind you, I have attempted looking through documentation, however, this is somewhat of an untouched subject.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Assigning a table to an area has no bearing on what sort of area it is.

I don't use RT so I don't specifically know how (or even if) it supports assigning tables to areas. But having observed customers who have RT deploy table changes to their databases it is either very simple and flexible or everyone has found a simple way to get around it because it isn't an issue with anyone that I know who uses RT.

The only concern with RTB being unaware, would be creating future tables within a database. If I have type II storage areas now, I should (well, NEED) to be able to specify a storage area for that table to associate itself with (along with the indexes).

Mind you, I have attempted looking through documentation, however, this is somewhat of an untouched subject.

When updating your application database schema using Roundtable Schema Update, the target db is queried for areas. At that point, you can assign new tables and indices to your desired area.

Currently we do not store area information, so this data will not available in the .df files created by the Roundtable deployment routines. However, if you use our Setup and Update procedure to process your deployment packages, you can specify your desired areas for table add and index adds similar to the schema update routine.

This is outlined in the Database Schema Updates section of the User Guide (section 4.7.6 for RTB 10.1B).

comatt1

We are using RTB version 10.0A06. Does all the same apply with this version?

Also, our Progress version is 10.0B03