Move/rename file issue

Rajeev Singh

Dear All,

I am facing the same issue as described by Kishorchari.
I have a input file which is processed at regular intervals ( 2 secs). I have tried OS-COMMAND MOVE, OS-COMMAND RENAME the but at times the file remains in the input folder.
It's on Windows platform and I am using 10.2B Version

I am wondering is there any PROGRESS function to get around this?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I've moved this to its own thread as posting in an ancient thread is no help to anyone. :)
The original thread is: Move/rename

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
OpenEdge 10 is ancient, obsolete, and unsupported. OE 12.1 is the current release. You should upgrade.

IMHO “the same issue” has never been very well described in either this thread or the other.

You don’t need “any Progress function to get around this”. You need to adequately understand the issue so that you can describe it to others. “I have the same issue as X” is a not an adequate description. If it were then you could also use the same solution.

1) Files appear from somewhere that need to be “processed”. Where do they appear from? How do you know that they are ready for processing? What do you do to “process” them? How do you know that the processing is finished?

2) You periodically want to rename some files. How do you decide which files to rename? Are you renaming them within the same directory? Or to a new directory? If a new directory is it on the same file system (or “drive”). Which of the many rename options in these two threads are you actually using?

3) The rename apparently fails sometimes. Is there an error message? Have you checked for an error code? Have you checked OS logs for errors?

Some sample code that illustrates your coding approach and which demonstrates the problem would also go a long ways towards helping to resolve it.