Question More Excel Questions and COM Handles.

wa4qms

I was wondering if there is a document here that fully explains how to properly use some of the functions in excel? Take for example the function (?) autofill, it is looking for 2 or so parameters, but no real reference on what or how. I've seen the codes from the xs-web site for things like ToLeft or ToBotton, but I was hoping there was a much better list that has been compiled. I think I can do a work around but in as much as this system will be replaced in less than 2 years it may not be worth the effort. And I cannot (as yet) use my personal.xlsb set of macros as that only loads when starting excel outside of Progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Dennis-

wa4qms

Thanks for the info. The system I am using does not have the COM viewer installed. I think I can use what you had from the screen shot to get what I need. I'd had seen those 'values' before, just didn't have a clue as to what the parameters were. Trying to just use the macro as a source if very limited.
-Dennis-

WinningJr

I was wondering if there is a document here that fully explains how to properly use some of the functions in excel? Take for example the function (?) autofill, it is looking for 2 or so parameters, but no real reference on what or how. I've seen the codes from the xs-web site for things like ToLeft or ToBotton, but I was hoping there was a much better list that has been compiled. I think I can do a work around but in as much as this system will be replaced in less than 2 years it may not be worth the effort. And I cannot (as yet) use my personal.xlsb set of macros as that only loads when starting excel outside of Progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Dennis-
I typically would record a macro, do in Excel whatever iut is I wanted to do from the ABL, save it, then look at the macro code and covert it to ABL COM. I don't think that method ever failed me.

Sort related:
We recently purchased SyncFusion XLSIO becuase we do too much reporting with Excel and MS does not support unattended COM to create pivots (they say they never did). You need an actual user logged into the machine that is generating pivots and reports. We also have to have multiple processes looking for hung Excel from COM generation mysterious failures, etc. I'm 80% finished converting from COM/MS Access framework to a full .Net Syncfusion pivot framework, but it can't do everyting you could do with COM and you can't use the macro trick!!

Osborne

The system I am using does not have the COM viewer installed.

Although not Progress, a good alternative is to download the "Excel 2013 Developer Documentation.chm" file - Download Office 2013 VBA Documentation from Official Microsoft Download Center - and even though it is for an older version very useful because as you can see from the attached it works similar to the COM viewer and shows the numeric values if you click on the relevant xlXXXXXXX.

Regarding the numerical values, a Progress include file existed that defined them all but just cannot remember or find the site. I have attached a version I have but again likely to be out of date.

Attachments

• Excel_1.3.i
    61.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Download Excel VBA Object Doc.png
    Download Excel VBA Object Doc.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Excel Developer Doc.png
    Excel Developer Doc.png
    50 KB · Views: 7