Modernization of Progress Application using Kendo UI

Zadock

Hi All,

Has anyone succeeded in modernizing a legacy application using Kendo UI?

Did you have to rewrite your entire application or there is a way you can retain Progress ABL codes in the background while running Kendo UI in the frontend?

Im considering Kendo UI but my worst fear is rewriting my business logic:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regards

Zadock

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
To make a long story short - yes, of course you can use Kendo UI without replacing your Progress 4gl business logic. How much work it is will depend greatly on where you are starting from and how your existing application was put together.

You should talk to Mike Fechner at Consultingwerk

And attend PUG Challenge August 31 - September 2nd in Vienna. There are still a few in person tickets available and plenty of online tickets. There will be lots of talks about modernization.

Zadock

Im on Openedge V11.1. Business logic and application logic is already separated. So where do I start?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I would start by upgrading from 11.1 to 11.7. That's simple to do and nobody is going to want to work with the 10 years of bugs that have been since 11.1. Nor will they want to work without the 10 years of enhancements that have been added.

Step #2 - register for PUG Challenge and attend the modernization sessions so that you better understand what your options are can ask good questions.

Or you could just start coding and figure out what you need later.