Moderation

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
ProgressTalk has some moderators, we started this mainly because of the spam which arrives now and then here @ ProgressTalk.

I was wondering lately if there are any other actions you would like us also to take care of.

First of all, I must say that I write this without consulting Joey or Chris, so I speak completeley for myself on this...

One thing I can think of is that lately I see a growing tendency of people to keep asking questions within a thread without starting a new thread. Another thing which happens is that people reopen old threads with new, not related questions.

I like forums like this to be open so I'm not into moderation in regard to language, but maybe some of you have idea's on this too.

So I am wondering about your opinions on what would make this forum an even better forum :cool:

Regards,

Casper.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I don't know what can be done beyond encouraging people not to do those things but both issues bug me too.

The other thing that I'd be happy to see is a clamp down on fake posts pretending to have a solution to a problem. I don't mind people offering their services in response to a bona-fide need (I do it myself) but creating fake posts in order to be able to appear to solve a problem ought to be stopped.

Casper

Staff member
We have the ability to move posts to new threads. So posting new questions in existing threads can be handled this way.

If I see it in time, that is before someone comments on the issue, I move the post to a new thread. If someone already mentioned that it should be in a new thread I don't move it. Because then I also have to remove this comment in order to keep the thread making sense. And it somehow feels a bit wrong to delete anyones comment. But maybe I'm a bit overcautious on this... :)

The last thing you metnion I don;t see very often. Lately KnutHandsome (sharp as always) noticed this thread that this tossy character posted. But apart from that I don't see that happen a lot.

I opt for just deleting these kind of posts, but then again we have to be sure. I don't want to accidently remove threads for being suspisious...

But then again maybe I'm a bit too cautious...

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Posts which are personal attacks and the like should be removed ... fortunately I think that is rare. For the BSP (blatant self promotion) posts, i.e., making up a thread in order to advertise or even responding off topic to advertise, I don't know that I would remove the posts so much as to let the person know it is not the done thing and delete their account if they keep it up.

As to the business of changing topics or reviving old threads, I say to go ahead and move them whether or not there are responses. Just add a post of your own to say that you moved it and it will all make sense without deleting anyone's precious words.

jongpau

Hi Casper,

It should not have to become your day job to moderate this forum, so the less time you guys spend on it the better it is.

Don't forget we are all grown-ups (and dare I say professionals?) here that should know how to obey some simple rules and act like responsible adults. And if a person appears to have some problems with that and starts to blatantly mis-use this forum for his or her own personal gain, uses inappropriate language or otherwise misbehaves or breaks rules, then as far as I am concerned there is only one thing to do with their accounts --> exclusive-lock followed by a lovely little delete :cool:

You guys do wonderful work, so please keep it up :)

Paul

Casper

Staff member
To jongpau:

Not my intention to make this my dayjob, I already have one which takes more time then a 'normal' day :lol:.

But it is quite easy to move the occasional post to a new thread.

Thanks for your input...

Tamhas wrote:
As to the business of changing topics or reviving old threads, I say to go ahead and move them whether or not there are responses. Just add a post of your own to say that you moved it and it will all make sense without deleting anyone's precious words.

I agree.

Casper.

The last thing you metnion I don;t see very often. Lately KnutHandsome (sharp as always) noticed this thread that this tossy character posted. But apart from that I don't see that happen a lot.

I opt for just deleting these kind of posts, but then again we have to be sure. I don't want to accidently remove threads for being suspisious...

Thanks. Despite my irritated responses to tossys spamming (my irritation was particularly acute in this case as he'd tricked me into spending half an hour on a self-regarding exposition of my liberal values), I hope you keep them - I find the threads amusing (and tossys chutzpah makes me smile); the fact that it is not going to do his company Zephyr/Vator any good in the long run if they stay there 'caught in the act' is an added bonus.

Then again, maybe they are nice professional guys who made a mistake - if they apologise here and on the other forums they've done it on I guess we'll know, but I suspect they are long gone.

I agree with politely moving OT posts/threads with an explanation sometimes.

Not sure about the occasional 'problem' of posters reviving old threads with an on topic question; I know some people don't like going through them, but I find it quite useful sometimes to see the question in context, particularly when the thread contains my insightful, modest posts. Certainly I don't think gruff remonstrations are helpful, particularly to newbies who might be scared off from returning. But maybe I'm in the minority in not finding it irritating when the question is unanswered but on topic.

The rather moronic and lazy 'please write this program for me'/'what does FOR EACH mean' questions highlighted as on the increase by Tom (I mean Tom highlighted the trend, not Tom posts the questions :) ) sometime ago are normally handled politely by someone, or ignored by everyone.

Blatant pluggers should be directed to the sponsored 'services' section you don't have, or informed about details of ProgressTalks superb advertising rates.

Generally, I think this is an excellently moderated forum, keep up the good work, and thank you for this useful discussion.