Migration from 9.1B Windows to Linux

I'm currently working on a Progress 9.1B application , which is only available under Windows (mostly 2k/XP/2k3). This app can use a Progress database or an Oracle databse (using an Oracle dataserver from Progress).

In a specific case, I'd like to launch two procedures with a Linux Client (under Red Hat). In this case, the database is Oracle and the procedures does not contain any graphical object (only doing jobs on the data).

What do I need to do ?

Buying an Oracle Dataserver + Personal Database licence of the Progress LInux 9.1B Client ?

Buying a Provision licence of the Progress Linux 9.1B client ? I mean, do I need to compile my procedures under Linux or can I copy the .r files compiled under windows ?

gcampbell

You can't copy the .r over .... you need to recompile.

You can get away with purchasing the 4GL Development license ... you don't need the ProVision license for compilation only.

Plus, as you mentioned, you will need to license both the DataServer and DB for Linux.

Seems like a bit of overkill to run a couple of data processes? Can't you just have an interactive process on the client side that processes the data? You are already licensed appropriately .... it will only tie up a client machine while processing and you will save yourself thousands of dollars. Or, can the data be processed via SQL on the Oracle side?
There are always different options ... but it depends on what your requirements are. Can you give a more detailed explanation of why you must run these processes on the Linux side?

Thanks,
Gordon

Thanks for your answer Gordon.

Well, I know that all of this seems to be a bit weird, but this is a specific request from a customer who doesn't want to buy any Windows server. If I can proove that a Windows server is cheaper that all these new licences + the extra time needed to compile and test the procedures under Linux...maybe I won't have to do all of that.

So, you said that I don't need a Provision licence to recompile the procedures. Which kind of licence do I need ?