Question Migrate From Progress (10.1b0333) To Sql Server 2016

Cody White

All,

I think I have ready every migration thread here, at least ones that appeared on google, even watched the video using Data Administration.

We are trying to move our database from Progress to MS SQL 2016. I am able to use the OpenEdge DB to MS SQL Server Conversion utility to copy the database scheme and create the tables on the SQL server, but none of the data will migrate to the new tables, the process just stops and says the new schema database has been created. Even though I have selected to move data. This is the configuration I am using below. At this point I think there might be a bug with this version which is why it wont move the data.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank You.

DEiM4oX.png

Stefan

I've never used the move option, so cannot help you there.

But... to successfully create the database / schema holder (without move) I've always needed to enter 'dbo' as username (without password).

Depending on your license the sources are available and can be extracted from the prodict.pl (of the top of my head) - this will at least allow you to debug what's going on prio / during the move.

cj_brandt

Do you have a 4gl development license to just run an ascii dump of the OE database into flat files and then import into MS SQL ?
Another option if there isn't a 4gl dev license would be to use SQL utilities to dump data into flat files and then import into MS SQL.

If you can, obtain the latest update to OE 10 and run the data exports using OE 10.2B08. 10.1b is similar in age to SQL 2005 or 2008.

Cody White

I've never used the move option, so cannot help you there.

But... to successfully create the database / schema holder (without move) I've always needed to enter 'dbo' as username (without password).

Depending on your license the sources are available and can be extracted from the prodict.pl (of the top of my head) - this will at least allow you to debug what's going on prio / during the move.

Sorry I forget to add the DBO user to the screen shot and the schema holder works but the data is just not moving but I think I found out why. I do not have a developer license and I think the MOVE is only possible if you have a developer licence.

Last edited:

Cody White

Do you have a 4gl development license to just run an ascii dump of the OE database into flat files and then import into MS SQL ?
Another option if there isn't a 4gl dev license would be to use SQL utilities to dump data into flat files and then import into MS SQL.

If you can, obtain the latest update to OE 10 and run the data exports using OE 10.2B08. 10.1b is similar in age to SQL 2005 or 2008.
So we do not have a developer license but I do have progress scripts provided by our ERP vendor to allow dump and loads. I am able to dump to ASCII and Binary.

I have currently dumped our progress database to both binary and ASCII, then I have tried to bulkload ASCII and load binary to the MSSQL via the Schema holder but in both scenarios I receive errors

Binary Error
C:\OpenEdge\WRK\dump>proutil sh -C load abccode.bd
OpenEdge Release 10.1B as of Fri Dec 8 12:21:52 EST 2006
ERROR - Unable to find a cursor for a table number lookup. (8788)
ERROR - No table with given table name found in the database. (8797)
Could not find record. Recid 0, error number 7, return -1. (12011)
Binary Load failed. (6255)

ACSII Error
C:\OpenEdge\WRK\dump>proutil sh -C bulkload test.fd
OpenEdge Release 10.1B as of Fri Dec 8 12:21:52 EST 2006
The BI file is being automatically truncated. (1526)
** This session is being run with the no-integrity (-i) option. (512)
Line 3: invalid or non-PROGRESS file name "ABCCode" (1510)
Line 3: unknown file "ABCCode" (1508)
Line 28: invalid or non-PROGRESS file name "ABCCode" (1510)
Line 28: unknown field "CheckBox05". (1509)
Loading data contents for file "ABCCode". (1520)

I feel like I am missing a parameter for loading into MSSQL

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The error messages both sound like you have not yet defined the schema.

I wouldn't expect binary to work at all. If it does that will be surprising to me.

cj_brandt

forget binary, only works if you are loading back into OE. Use an ASCII dump to export data from OE and use bcp to load data back into MS SQL.