Maximum number of "real" users

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Morning all,

we've been asked if it's possible to provide a figure of the maximum number of concurrent "real" users that have been on the db at any one time. A real user would be any login that's not self-service or appserver. Is this something that I can see already, or will I need to write some code to poll this info from time to time?

Cheers

James

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I guess it depends on what you want. Do you want to be able to go to a screen and look it up manually? Or do you want a script or cron job to be able to retrieve or log the figure without user input?

Also, do you consider "real" users to be the sum of your remote connections? And are there any remote connections that are not "real"?

Depending on the answer, and if you are on a release that doesn't have bugs associated with _License, you can obtain the info from there. You could also look for all the "REMC" users in _Connect. This info is also displayed by proshut or by promon screen 1 | 1 (user list).

Cringer

Staff member
PMSL! Humble pie eaten.

Currently on 10.2A, moving to 11 later this year.

I've written a script to hive off the info I want on a regular basis now - basically all REMC connections that aren't from a particular machine (batch jobs happen here).

Am I safe to use _License?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I believe you are safe to use _License or dbname.lic, if it suits your needs. If I recall the affected releases are 102.B SP01 through SP04 inclusive.

_License records hourly totals at the top of each hour for min. max, and current users, broken down by batch, interactive, and total. If you want to count only interactive users, that should give you the info you want. Or your could query _Connect at any time, counting the subset of clients you care about. That may be a more flexible approach.

Cringer

Staff member
Thanks Rob - the dbname.lic should do for now I'd have thought - but going forward the script I've written should keep us in the loop more accurately.

is the .lic file ordered the same as the _License table?

Cringer

Staff member
Thanks Rob - couldn't find the article whilst searching earlier but should have been obvious.