Answered Maximum Number of Clients Per Server (-Ma) calculates its own limit?

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi

I think I may have just schooled myself today and that my understanding of this parameter has been wrong for years....

So I tend to setup a single config 4gl broker and single config SQL broker per database, I may split the number of brokers as 20 4GL and 8 SQL for example.
I leave Minimum Clients Per Server (-Mi) set to 1 and Maximum Number of Clients Per Server (-Ma) set to 0 on both.

My understanding for years was that an -Ma set to 0 meant unlimited per broker (within Max users limit of course).

Looking at a couple of 11.6.4 DBs today I see it started and set -Ma to 10, and another DB to 6.

Calculation seems to be my servers count + 1 / max users - is this correct and has this been the way since 10.2 days?

Cheers

Chris.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I may split the number of brokers as 20 4GL and 8 SQL for example.
Number of servers? ;)
I leave Minimum Clients Per Server (-Mi) set to 1 and Maximum Number of Clients Per Server (-Ma) set to 0 on both.
Interesting. I have never heard of anyone settings -Ma to zero. The manual lists 1 as the minimum value. When I try -Ma 0 on the command line the database does not start. I get this error: SERVER : The -Ma parameter requires an argument greater than 0. (1404).

Are you by chance using OEE/OEM for database parameter configuration? I have seen cases where the web UI shows a value of zero in some fields instead of the actual default value. I wonder if that might be what is happening here. The actual default is 4. What do you see under "Max Users" in promon R&D, 1, 17?
Calculation seems to be my servers count + 1 / max users - is this correct and has this been the way since 10.2 days?
Sorry, I don't follow. The calculation for what?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If -Ma is not specified it will default as described. You get some pretty crazy numbers that way.

One of OEM's more "charming" features is, as Rob describes, the occasional use of 0 and blank as placeholders for "use the default value". One of OEM's even more charming features is that sometimes it will decide that you literally meant 0 or blank.

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes you are correct using OEE for these settings.

I guess if as Rob says the default is 4 in all circumstances I would have come across this issue a lot earlier.

But its not, 0 in OEE then runs the calculation as I said - setting Ma based on number of servers and max users.

Thanks both marking as answered.