Lock Table overflow issue in Progress 4GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ravinath

I am facing a lock table overflow issue and below is the error it displays me and as soon as it displays it crashes the code.

Lock table overflow, increase -L on server (915)

I have checked the error number and it is saying we need to modify that -L value before server starts and it has been set to 500 by default. But I would not imagine I have been given that privilege to change that value unless I am a database administrator of the company. What i was trying to do was wipe out roughly 11k of member records with all the linked table records ( more than 25 tables are linked to each member record ) while backing them each table up into separate file. So roughly it achieves 'EXCLUSIVE-LOCK' when entering the member for loop as below,

for each member
EXCLUSIVE-LOCK:

/*
Then find each linked records in a order.
Extract them.
Delete them.
*/
Finally it extracts the member.
Delete member.

end.​

When it hits certain number of member records program crashes out. So i had to run it as batches like,

for each member
EXCLUSIVE-LOCK:

Increment a member count.
When count = 1k
then RETURN.
/*
Then find each linked records in a order.
Extract them.
Delete them.
*/
Finally it extracts the member.
Delete member.

end.​

So literally I've ended up with running the same code more than 11 times to get the work done. I hope someone should have come across this issue and would be great help if you like to share a long time solution rather than my temporary solution.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.