Question Loading of Data to slow

Hi to all,

Just want to ask why every time the transaction(any irregardless if the record loads in fill-in or browser) at first show the data loading was to slow then after that when i try to open again the transaction (any irregardless if the record loads in fill-in or browser) it was normal now.. it's like watching movie in youtube need to buff first before you can watch continuously.. is there any way to remove that buffer?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Your question is far too vague I'm afraid. Please give details of what you are trying to do such as code snippets so that we can comment.

Hi Cringer,

What Im trying to say was every time i open a transaction, like patient masterfile in a form of browser it take time to load the data during first open then i close it and open again in a second all data appears without any hang

Cringer

Staff member
One thing that is confusing the issue is your use of the term transaction. If you are just reading data then it is not a transaction in Progress DB terms.
So let me clarify: You load a screen and it takes some time to load. You then close the screen and reopen it and it loads much quicker?
If this is the case it could be all manner of things, and depends how the queries are written. I would hazard a guess that the query is reading a lot of data from disk that is then present in the buffer the next time you run the query. What is the size of your -B DB startup parameter and your DB Block Size?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
As Cringer said, it sounds like you are seeing the effect of caching. On first read, data comes off the disk, which is slow. On a second read immediately following the first, the data still resides in the buffer pool (in memory on the database server), so it is fast.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
it's like watching movie in youtube need to buff first before you can watch continuously.

Yes. Exactly. Buffered data is in RAM and is much faster to access.

is there any way to remove that buffer?

Sure. Set -B to some really small value like 256.

But that will not have the impact that you are hoping for... removing the buffering is not a good thing. Buffering is your friend. What you really want to think about is your data request. Is it well organized? Are you asking the db for what you need? Or are you asking the db to send all sorts of useless data that the client must sort through and select from ultimately tossing most of it away?

Human scale data requests are generally smallish numbers of records -- one, two, thirty, a few hundred. Even unbuffered those are probably returned relatively quickly. If you're noticing a difference then it is very, very likely that your queries are poorly constructed and feature excessive numbers of logical io operations to satisfy the human oriented result set.

Look at you result set. Then look to see how much work the database had to perform to support that. Are the numbers reasonable?

ProTop is your friend. http://dbappraise/protop.html

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
When investigating query efficiency, it is very helpful to have the -tablerangesize and -indexrangesize database broker parameters set correctly. "Correctly" means higher than the highest-numbered application table and application index respectively.

Also helpful is the log entry type QryInfo. you specify it on the client side, e.g. with the startup parameters -clientlog filename.log -logentrytypes QryInfo. It will show you how many records were fetched for each query and how many were useful to the client.

All startup parameters are described in the Startup Command and Parameter Reference manual. Database broker parameters are also described in the Database Administration manual. Log entry types are also described in the Debugging and Troubleshooting manual.

To get your highest numbered table and index:

Code:
find last _file no-lock where _file._tbl-type = "T" use-index _file-number.
find last _index no-lock where not _index._index-name begins "_" use-index _index-number.
display _file-number _idx-num.

Hi Rob,

My current -tablerangesize and -indexrangesize was 50, but the highest numbered table and index was 391 & 883 should i adjust the -tablerangesize = 400 and -indexrangesize = 900?

Cringer

Staff member
Yep then you will be able to get better information on what your queries are doing as per the previous posts in this thread.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Once you get ProTop installed it can show you table and index statistics, but only if your database has been started with -tablerangesize and -indexrangesize values that are high enough. The values you have chosen will be sufficient. Remember that if your schema grows in the future (i.e. more tables or indexes are added) you may need to increase these parameter values.