Little Help

markallenboyle

First of all apologies for my first post being like this however I have had Progress thrust upon me and was blissfully unaware of its existence until yesterday.

To run the scenario then.

I have a client who had an old SCO box in the corner with an database on it, it was never used nor likely to be used, not backed up to often if ever and kicked regularly by people visiting the coffee machine.

Unfortunately one kick to many left the box dead however a data drive in the box was still available to me and I have managed to recover the progress database files. (DB, D1 etc etc).

I have managed to download progress to a windows machine however when I try and open the db file it states an error relating to the path which seems to be a reference to its prior location on the SCO box.

I have tried now for 24h to get these to mount in some way including hex editing the raw files to put in absolute paths and a few other probably barmy attempts and am wondering if there is any way short of me getting a SCO box fired up of extracting the schema and data from these files to another DB or format.

This is unfortunately not something I was responsible for so there is no backup aside from this file level backup so recovery by prorest etc not possible. What we have is the files and nothing else.

Praying there is a solution to this.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It would help to know version numbers.

It is not possible to copy or restore databases cross-platform. If you have database files from SCO on a given major version of Progress (major version being 9.x, 10.x, etc.), you need a SCO installation of that same or later major version to work with those files. If you can install that version of Progress and the database files are in their original location, you can open the database and back it up, dump data, etc. If they are in a different location because they were OS-copied from one place to another (when the database was offline) then you can run prostrct repair and update the internal structure to reflect the new location, and then back up, dump, etc.

markallenboyle

Ok,

So in short then unless I can get a SCO box and an older copy of progress from somewhere its gone forever despite the files being there.

I tried looking at SCO openserver however I am noting that the school room version of progress is not compatible with any version of SCO what so ever and there is no where to download older versions of progress.

Ebay etc have no listings for older versions of software on disk.

Looks like I am not getting this data back any time soon.

Open to suggestions here..

markallenboyle

Not a chance, its probably just been ticking along for circa 5-10 years and never given a thought.

It had an old ERP software on it which was only ever used for reference.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you still have the software you can install it on a "new" SCO box and open and dump the database. If not, you could explore the cost of bringing the maintenance up to date so you can re-download the code from Progress.

markallenboyle

Don't have it unfortunately, it probably came on floppy the machine is so old.

If theoretically I could get the machine to boot how would I extract the data to some sort of Dump I could manipulate in another tool, say as CSV or similar ? Theres a lot of conflicting advice on this

cj_brandt

Linux and SCO would need the same Endian Byte Order big endian vs little endian.

But like Rob stated, I don't think a Progress install for one OS would open a database created on a different OS.

You might have better luck trying to find someone who has a functioning SCO server who would be willing to host your db files. I haven't looked into a situation like that before so I'm not sure it would be legal.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
An old Mac won't help - Progress has never been ported to the Mac.

How big are the files?

Did you happen to recover the .lg file? That should quickly identify the version - which is a crucial bit of information.

markallenboyle

I have made some progress parden the pun.

So I now have the original box up and running and I can see the directory and executables for progress and the db file. I am not at all familiar with this OS and was wondering quickest road to move the db from *nix to windows or to dump the db content to files to manipulate elsewhere.

Thanks for your help to date gents. If your ever heading for js friendly schemaless country I will repay you in kind !

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Knowing the Progress version is very helpful. A lot of things changed as those very old releases matured.

In the DLC directory there should be a command called "showcfg". That will reveal the licenses that are installed. That's also very relevant -- the easiest and most effective way to extract the data will depend greatly on the combination of Progress versions and available licenses.

markallenboyle

It seems that my original diagnosis was off and that this box was actually being upgraded / maintained along the way by the ERP provider.

The system is 100% redhat and the directory for the db executables are in is labeled 11.6.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Colour me... confused. In light of the most recent post, I have no idea which parts of the original post are accurate.

Maybe it's best to start over with a complete description of the situation and the problem to be solved.

markallenboyle

I have a server which is redhat, I have a database on there which is part of an ERP product which is in version 11.6 of progress.

I want the data out of that database and into SQL or CSV

markallenboyle

I unfortunately cant cut and paste from the node so this is a digest of what I feel may be relevant

Name : OE Enterprise RDBMS
Name : OE Application Server Ent