List of available drives on MS OS's

rob bradford

All.

I know how to get usage and drive type information via API calls but I cant sort out a reliable method of dynamically building a list of available drives. As this code must run on various machines I need to build this list at runtime.

HOW? An API call would be nice, but I'm open to ideas.

Why do I want to do this, well there is a requirement to monitor disc usage across available drives after nightly uploads, and e-mail the appropriate people is a threshold for minimum acceptable space is crossed. (e-mail is via a mappi thingy). All works fine but I would like to build a drive list dynamically.

Weeding out CD's, removable drive's ect is done.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.B.:confused:

M-HT

Hi Rob,
how about this simple solution (there may be better, but this one works (more or less) ) :

def var i as int no-undo.

do i = asc("c") to asc("z"):
file-info:file-name = chr(i) + ":\.".
if file-info:full-pathname <> ? and index(file-info:file-type, "d") <> 0 then message "drive " + chr(i) + "is available".
end.

All you need is to sort out removable, network,... drives, but you wrote you know how to do that so it's no problem for you.

rob bradford

Thanks.

Thanks Roman, a minor tweek and it doe's the job. Funny how the simplest of solutions eludes you at times. Talk aboun not being able to see the woods for the trees!

Rob.B.