Linked Server

arteaga7

Hi, did you find a way to make the GUI display the catalog list of tables and views? I can use the procs to do that but I am sure there is a way to make the GUI do that.

CEF

I want to link a Progress DB to MS SQL Server. I use the guide on:
Progress KB - How to link to a Progress / OpenEdge database from Microsoft SQL Server using a Progress / OpenEdge ODBC Driver ?
Local on my Windows 8 notebook, I have also installed a MS SQL Management Studio.
"1) Setup an ODBC connection to the Progress eatabase in the ODBC Administrator in the System DSN. Make sure the connection successfully establishes."
So I looked under System-DNS and find it. It is called pA52_T2_ODBC. 32-Bit. Progress OpenEdge 10.2B Driver. When I test the connection, it says "Connection established!". So I think step 1 is done.
"2) Bring up SQL Server Management Studio, connect to Object Explorer. Under Server Objects -> Linked Servers, Right click -> New Linked Server. 3) Provide the information to following options:
Linked server - Provide the name you will use to refer to this linked server. Server Type - Select "Other data source" as server type. Clicking this option activates the options below it. Provider - Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC driver. Product name - it could be anything but better to use progress since it is a progress database. Data source - ODBC System DSN name. The rest of the options can be left blank".
And now it doesn't work! I get an Error-Msg: The linked server has been updated but failed a connection test... Error: 7303.
Why works the connection test in step 1, but not with step 2?
Any ideas?
UPDATE 1:
Now I tried to import a table from progress to MS Access. I use the pA52_T2_ODBC, type in my loginname and password. Then a window opens and I can chooese all the progress tables. But when I choose one and click ok then I get this error:
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Access denied (Authorization failed) (7512)(#-20228).
Why can I pass first with my login data, but in second step it failed about this!?