License OpenEdge

Pedro Ciarma

good morning, I have two situations:
I need a license in the window environment to compile programs, would it be OE studio?

I need another one also in the Unix environment to compile programs and also to maintain the database (dump&load, enter monouser etc... what would be the most suitable license for this?
would the 4GL Development System be concureent user?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
In situations like this it is helpful to know your OpenEdge release.

There are two questions here: which product(s) to license and which license model to use for said license(s).

I need a license in the window environment to compile programs, would it be OE studio?
You can use any OpenEdge development product: PDSOE, OE Studio, or 4GL Development System (aka "the compiler"). If you don't need an IDE and you just want to compile code, I believe 4GL Dev System is the cheapest. But I could be wrong, it's been a while since I saw a price list.

I need another one also in the Unix environment to compile programs and also to maintain the database
Again, 4GL Dev System is sufficient for this.

would the 4GL Development System be concureent user?
This is the question about license model. It is a business question, not a technical one. The installed product has no notion of which model it was licensed under. Typically this will depend on how your other products were licensed. That said, in general OpenEdge licensing is a big gray area and there are more exceptions than rules.

Note that the Concurrent User/Device license model was retired after v9, though it was grandfathered for existing customer licenses under that model. Those clients could still buy new users and some new product licenses under that model in the v10 and v11 time frame. But it is not available to you now if you don't already have Concurrent licenses.