JDBC Driver for Progress v.10.1B02 SQL-92,Array element overflow,datepart not working

Spike_O

Hello Everyone,

I am new to progress and this forum and was hoping that someone could help me. I have connected to the progress database through an JDBC/ODBC Bridge - connecting to RazorSQL and DbVisualizer to run queries, updates, inserts, etc...I was having an issue in DbVisualizer where the the reference graphs were not showing the column links and was told on the DbVisualizer forum to connect to the databse using a pure JDBC connection and that may help...

So my first question is does anyone know of a JDBC driver (Free would be nice) for Progress v.10.1B02 SQL-92??

My Second Question involves an error I get when I run the simplest of queries such as select * from PUB.OrderDtl, this is the error:

13:37:33 [SELECT - 0 row(s), 0.000 secs] [Error Code: -20200, SQL State: S1000] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Array element value overflow. (12664)
... 1 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.000/0.000 sec [0 successful, 0 warnings, 1 errors]

I believe one of the columns is causing this error I am thinking that the field width is not big enough - but just wanted to run it by everyone here and see if they have encountered something similar and if so how they fixed it.

Finally ( and thank you all for bearing with me :D), I have worked with Sybase and SQL Server and always have been able to run a select datepart(wk,__) query with no issues but I am receiving an error with Progress?? Any thoughts?

Thank you everyone in advance for your help! :biggrin:

RealHeavyDude

Re: JDBC Driver for Progress v.10.1B02 SQL-92,Array element overflow,datepart not wor

There are ( might ) be more things you need to take into consideration - because the Progress/OpenEdge database is not a SQL database in the first place:

1. The field format description in an OpenEdge database is just the default input/output format. For example if you take a character, although it's described with a format of 8 characters it can hold up characters until you either blow the limit of a character data type or the limit of the max record length. What's important for you is the SQL width. It is set at the time the field gets created in the database. Over time it needs to be adjusted to reflect the actual widths. The dbtool ( option 2 ) will do this for you - you need to run it against the database.
  2. The OpenEdge database has a feature of making a database field an array ( extent field in Progress vocabulary ) which might not be supported by the tool you use to query the database.
  3. Many database definitions I see use hyphens in table and field names which might not be supported by the tool you use either.
All in all it depends whether the application makes use of all the freedom that the Progress database gives to it or whether the application is designed for compatibility and avoids such things. But that's always something that's up to the developers ...

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Re: JDBC Driver for Progress v.10.1B02 SQL-92,Array element overflow,datepart not wor

The Progress SQL Client, which is a free download, includes a JDBC driver.

PRO_ELEMENT is the way to get at the individual elements in an array.

Double quotes around field or table names containing hyphens will bridge that problem.

Reading the manual will tell you whether any given function you are used to from another environment is supported.

Spike_O

Hi RealHeavyDude and tamhas, thank you so much for your help - I will take a look at your suggestions and see if that helps!

Thanks again! :cool: