Info on Stored Procedure

Hi everybody,

Do we have anything like Stored Procedure in Progress, if so can u share some code for me with few explanations...

Can anyone help me out, plzzzzzzz :confused:

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
No. The Progress database does not have "stored procedures". They are considered a dead end technology used by cavemen who are still mired in the SQL age ;)

The suggested architecture sort-of equivalent for Progress is to isolate your business logic on app servers.

Progress does support calling stored procedures in foreign databases (like Oracle or SQL Server). Progress also supports database triggers.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
To expand a bit on Tom's comments, stored procedures where developed to move processing to the server during the client/server era when moving a lot of data across the wire was too expensive. Some people tout them and/or triggers for providing relational integrity, but even when this is well intentioned, it ends up splitting logic between the database and the application rather than unifying that logic in one place. Much better per modern thinking to provide that logic in a single place in a data access layer and set things up so that the only way one can access the application is through the data access layer. See PSDN documents on OERA. AppServer or Sonic are the applicable technologies to implement.

rhi

Yes, the Progress database does support stored procedures on the SQL engine. And you can execute the stored procedures using any client that can log into the database.

Thank u very much... I got the answer, but a small doubt; u have mentioned something like "Dead End Technology", what does it mean???

Likewise is there any specific reason that we dont use Stored Procedure in Progress 4GL???

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Like rhi said, there are stored procedures for the sql engine. They can be very helpfull. I don't know of any ohter stored procedures so I'll leave that to others :)

Casper.

rhi

They can be useful, you just have to realize what it's all about and know what you are doing. It can speed up processing because the logic is executed on the DB instead of the client, but if you go too far with stored procedures or triggers, you can bog down performance of your database. And if you ever need to change the code of the stored procedure, you have changed it for a programs that call it, instead of having to change a reusable piece of code in every program. But this can be viewed as a negative as well.