indexes

I have a question that I hope somone can answer. What happens if I am rebuilding indexes and I get knocked off the network? Specifically, what happens if I am rebuilding indexes from home and I get disconnected from my ISP?

That would largely depend on your environment....! Mostly it will cause the index rebuild to crash and you will have to restart from the beginning.

If Unix and telnet then you can use nohup to prevent your telnet (or ssh or whatever) session (and thus the index rebuild) from being killed.

A good utility available for most unices is "screen" which will allow you to reconnect to a session which gets disconnected.

How would I use nohup? Under my current configuration I have always gone to the unix prompt and started a charactor based session, gone through the menus and picked rebuild. There are no other progress dba' here for me to ask these basic questions so thanks for the help.

OK - at your unix prompt type "man nohup". That's a good place to start. Basically this tells the process not to respond to the SIGHUP that will be transmitted if your connection dies.

You should probably redirect the output from this to a file as well as to the terminal using "tee" which will send the output to two destinations. That way you won't lose the log files.

Basically, to use nohup you just put nohup in front of the command you are using.