Question Improve Performance

vinhng

Hello all,

I want to ask all expert about Server performance and maintenance issue here

My customer has 2 servers: 1 for App server(linux), 1 for DB server(linux). They use 2 DBs (live and test Database) on the same local server (DB server).

Two server are useing:
Hardware: IBM x3650 intel Xeon QC X5470 3.33Gh/1333Mhz/L2, 8G (2x4GB DIMM) PC5300 DDR2, Raid5
DB: OpenEdge Progress 10.1B sp3
Application : MFG/PRO (QAD)

I use crontab to backup live DB everyday (after-work) and copy the test DB from live DB at 3:00AM everyday.(by procopy progress tool)

Two servers are running smoothly from 2009 until now(2013)
Could anyone can help me how can we reconfig 02 server can run more performance working?(config structure file of Progress DB, config OS linux, config QAD Application...v..v..)

Pls give me any idea expert from you all.
Thanks,

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hello all,

I want to ask all expert about Server performance and maintenance issue here

My customer has 2 servers: 1 for App server(linux), 1 for DB server(linux). They use 2 DBs (live and test Database) on the same local server (DB server).

Two server are useing:
Hardware: IBM x3650 intel Xeon QC X5470 3.33Gh/1333Mhz/L2, 8G (2x4GB DIMM) PC5300 DDR2, Raid5
DB: OpenEdge Progress 10.1B sp3
Application : MFG/PRO (QAD)

You have mentioned a "server performance and maintenance issue" and provided server stats but if you reread your post you haven't actually described what the perceived issues are.

I use crontab to backup live DB everyday (after-work) and copy the test DB from live DB at 3:00AM everyday.(by procopy progress tool)

You use crontab to do what exactly? Run a shell script that shuts down prod and makes OS copies of the DB files? Run probkup?

You mention procopy but that requires the source DB to be offline. Do you shut down production every day to update the data in the test DB? If so that isn't necessary. You could back up prod via probkup online, then restore the backup overtop of test.

Two servers are running smoothly from 2009 until now(2013)
Could anyone can help me how can we reconfig 02 server can run more performance working?

You are on an old unsupported release of Progress running on an old unsupported release of Red Hat, and your storage is on RAID 5. This is a recipe for bad performance. However I assume this same configuration was in place during the time in the past that you reference when there were no performance concerns, so this isn't the whole story.

So what performance issue is happening now that wasn't happening previously?

vinhng

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your regards my topic.

1. Sorry I do
2. Pls see the topic that I ask but still not anyone advices us, we hope you help me: progresstalk.com/threads/is-my-backup-plan-any-good.121879/#post-379409
3. What kind of RAID is the best choise for DB server that you mention? Do you have any guide document related like that ?

Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
RAID 5 is not appropriate for database storage. Depending on your budget and performance needs, use RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 10 (mirroring and striping).

Read the Progress Database Essentials and Database Administration manuals. They cover subjects such as storage, backup, and performance tuning.