Immediate reply

Mohan.itti

Hi please tell me any one how it works below parameters?

i will start my session that time it shown given errors. how i resolve it?

what is procore?

-s is exceeded. The STOP condition is set and an attempt to write the trace file 'ProCore is made??.
Consider an increase in the launch parameter-s (5635)

Warning:-nb has been exceeded. Its value was automatically increased from 250 to 350. (5407)

rzr

the above error can be caused by
1. "-s" Stack Size parameter value set too low when starting your session,
2. some piece of code running into an infinite loop.

rzr

how did you start your session? are you on Windows or *NIX ?

The startup program and -s parameter are set in the .pf parameter file. This file is invoked when you start your application.

rzr

Refer for KB Id # P28254

What is a procore file?

If an error is detected in a 4GL session, Progress records the 4GL stack trace information in the procore file. This is sometimes useful in determining what a client was doing when it abnormally terminates.
Prior to Progress Version 9.1C, the Debug Alert (-debugalert) startup parameter provided access to 4GL stack trace information when an error occurred during an interactive session. If -debugalert was used when an error occurred Progress would display an alert box with a help button that displayed a dialog box containing a scrollable, read-only 4GL stack trace for the current Progress session. In Progress Version 9.1C, the Debug Alert (-debugalert) startup parameter also provides access to 4GL stack trace information when an error occurs during a batch session.
In Progress Version 9.1D and later, the Debug Alert (-debugalert) startup parameter, when used with the new -clientlog startup parameter, provides access to 4GL stack trace information during a session and writes this information to a log file referenced with the -clientlog parameter.
In version 9.1C, the information was written to the procore file upon abnormal termination of the session. In Version 9.1D and later, information is written to the log file you specify with the -clientlog startup parameter. If -clientlog is not used to specify a log file name, messages will not written to a log file and will only be visible through the error dialog within the program.

rzr

there are also other, very useful information available on the ProKB - if you search with the error# 5635.

RealHeavyDude

1. "Core" dumps are usually produced when there is or it seems to be that something seriously goes wrong in your application which might be caused by a serious issue like a memory violation, a bug in Progress or a hardware issue. This core dumps can be analyzed by the Progress technical support in order to find out what it was that exactly went wrong.
  2. There is a slew of start up parameters for a Progress session. Almost all of them have default values or are switched off per default. Usually you supply this parameters on the command line in Unix style together with the command that starts the session. As an alternative you can put these start up parameters in a file - which is then called a parameter file. In any case the last occurrence of a start up parameter wins. To find out the default values you should have a look into the documentation that comes with the produced in PDF format: There is a book in the deployment section that is called "Startup Command and Parameter Reference" which is what you are looking for. Please be aware that these parameters are Unix style and case sensitive!
  3. -s = stack size: This is the memory area where the client stores all sort of definitions like database tables, temp-tables and variables. Blowing this limit per se is not bad - usually it means that your application has grown bigger and the stack size is not appropriate any more. But it may also indicate that you've produced a memory leak in the application.
  4. -nb = nested blocks. This is a soft limit which means Progress increases it automatically for you but it does issue a warning. Blowing this limit usually happens when the complexity of the application logic increases, but it may also indicated that you have introduced a recursive or infinite loop in your application.
Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Since you have posted no code nor any details regarding how you managed to get this error I'll postulate the simplest possibility:

Code:
/* bogus.p
 */

run ./bogus.p.
return.

Mohan.itti

Thanks for your response..

i am working in windows environment.
if I am start my pf file or session, i will getting below error

-s is exceeded. The STOP condition is set and an attempt to write the trace file 'ProCore is made??.
Consider an increase in the launch parameter-s (5635)

Warning:-nb has been exceeded. Its value was automatically increased from 250 to 350. (5407).

(SYSELG) Translation SILVER-CS absent registration file.

how to solve this issue? please find my pf coding given below.

star-exp.pf

-db silv-exp.db
-ld silverdb
-H localhost
-S 20602
-N TCP

-E
-d dmy
-lng "French"
-cpcase French
-cpcoll Basic
-rereadnolock
-inp 15000
-tok 1600
-nb 150

# Nouveau :
-s 100

-cpinternal iso8859-15
-cpstream iso8859-15
#-cpinternal utf-8
#-cpterm utf-8
#-cprcodeout utf-8

-T C:\temp

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What happens when you increase the -s parameter as has been suggested?

RealHeavyDude

Your setting of the stack size is near the multi-user default ( which is 40 ). I would recommend you to increase it further in 100 steps until the error is gone.

Whenever dealing with start up parameters like these you can either guess a sufficient value in setting it to a extremely high value or you can tune it. Tuning such a value will always be an iterative process.

The same is true for the nested blocks.

At this point - IMHO - it would be a good idea to take a step back and ask yourself:

• Did you introduce any change in the software that could have caused this?
  • Did anything in the environment change that could have caused this?
  • Did anything in the usage of the application change that could have caused this?
The reason why you should ask yourself is because the error message could indicate two things:

1. The limit for this parameters is not sufficient any more and the changes introduced justify lifting the limitation.
  2. The limit for this parameters is sufficient but there is something going wrong in the code that causes the application to misbehave.
If the latter is the case, instead on working on the symptom you should fix the underlying issue.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Are you really getting this on start-up, i.e., before any meaningful execution takes place? I see no -p in those parameters ... does this mean you are getting the error just going into the editor with no program? What do you mean by "starting a pf file"?