IDE for Open Edge

andrew_simi

I am looking an editor for Progress 4GL or ABL procedures.
Now I am using standard edit on linux Open Edge Database via putty.

I heard that there is a plugin for eclipse.

thanks for help.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
OpenEdge Architect is the Eclipse based IDE. It is, however, only available for Windows.

You could still use it from a Windows workstation if you share a drive with Linux (perhaps via Samba). You could even setup the OEA compiler to compile character r-code rather than GUI.

andrew_simi

thanks for answer,
I found more posts about OpenEdge Architect:
http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?113406-Open-Edge-Editor

I work on OpenEdge Release 10.1A02 for linux with licence, so I supposed that I don't have licence for OEA, but I don't know where can I check it?
Is it possible to buy only OEA for Windows, for 10.1A02 release?

If I install OEA on Windows, do I can compile code, deploy, debug etc. on database which is placed on another server or I have to install OE Database on my local computer?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to buy only OEA for Windows, for 10.1A02 release?
yes it is a separate license.
If I install OEA on Windows, do I can compile code, deploy, debug etc. on database which is placed on another server or I have to install OE Database on my local computer?
compile --> yes
debug --> yes
etc --> yes :)

deploy depends on what you mean with deploy. You can compile r-code in a directory on the particular server. You can do all the debugging you can do with the OE debugger (including online debugging with conditional breakpoints etc.)

The server has to be reachable for the windows machine (through a samba share for instance).

If you used the linux editor then I think that, after being confused by the IDE, you really are going to like its features.

Maybe an idea to download the OpenEdge evalution kit to try it out a bit: https://progress-eval.subscribenet.com/control/prge/registration

HTH,

Casper.

andrew_simi

I am downloading now, thanks.
Yes it is big step for me.
The server has to be reachable for the windows machine
I try to put out samba server on linux, and then connect OEA to database.
Thank you for help.

GregTomkins

I believe (I'm open to being corrected!) that the Eclipse product costs an arm and a leg (a few thousand bucks, IIRC). If you are used to the rest of the world of Eclipse, where practically everything is 100% free and most of it is awesome, this may come as a big shock. Of course, it's the same for all of Progress, not just the IDE.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Note, however, that the OP presumably already has at least a 4GL license or he wouldn't be able to do development. So, the cost of OpenEdge Architect will be the trade-in cost difference between OEA and whatever was paid for the 4GL or ProVision or whatever license which he has now.

Casper

Staff member
I am wonder how can I connect to Progress Database in version 7.

As in Progress V7? Then I also wonder how you would connect... (conv78, conv89,conv910 and then connect? :))

Casper.

andrew_simi

Yes right,
there is JDBC connector, but in OpenEdge. I have started:

Code:
proserve -db <dbname.db> -S 8030 -L 15000 -B 40000 -Mf 3 -s 91 -n 60

and then OEA have easy way to connect.

But Progress 7 doesn't have JDBC, am I right?

Casper

Staff member
Well I believe they started in V7 with sql implementation. With a driver made by Progress. But those attempts where not good.
Furthermore you use the jdbc connector in Eclipse only for the db navigator. To be able to compile sources you will need a 4GL database connection.

Casper.

andrew_simi

4GL database connection.
how can I set up?

I am able to make rcodes from my procedures in OEA. But I have to pack them to my system library. Can I do this in OEA also?

something like :

$DLC/${KAT7}prolib ${RCODE}/<my_library> -create -pf ${RCODE}/prolib.pf -nowarn

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Don't be ridiculous. Progress version 7 is going to be 20 years old any day know. It is long past time to upgrade it.