IBM AIX debugger

I'm not sure if this request belongs in this forum, but its Progress related.

We run Progress 9.1D on a IBM AIX Unix system 5.0
At times we get a core file, recently related to App Server performance, but we can't read it. You need a Unix debugger program like DBX, and there are a few others. From what I've read they are oriented for programming programs like C, C+, fortran, etc. Has anyone found a good way to read the core files created by Progress? The goal is to find out what programs were on the stack when the core was created.

Hi,

You can read the Progress corefiles easily.

$DLC/bin/prostack -r $DLC/bin/_progres <corefile>

Note: install bos.adt.debug package on AIX

Best regards,
Gabor

debug package?

You mention installing
Note: install bos.adt.debug package on AIX

we have dbx installed (Also adb), will that work, or is it the same thing?

If I have a core file created by an AppServer process, can I run the same thing except switch _progres with the AppServer executable?

Hi dbx and adb are part of bos.adt.debug package, but you can check the package availability with the following command:
lslpp -l|grep bos.adt.debug

I think you can use it for all Progress execuable.

Best regards,
Gabor

vinod_home

Hi,

There is a KB on how to use adb.
you would run adb <exec> <corefile>
then tyoe "where" to find what function ran before core
then type "quit" to exit

If you use adb and get a message
warning: Adb does not support the aix 4.3 core file format. Change core dump format to dump in the pre-430 style.

You would have to do the following....

The following is a Primus(R) eServer solution:
========================================

Title: Unable to process core file on AIX - adb dbx debugger does not support the AIX 4.3 core file format
ID: P4799
Audience: External

Fact IBM AIX

Symptom adb dbx debugger does not support the aix 4.3 core file format

Symptom Unable to process core file using adb dbx debugger on AIX

Symptom Unable to produce readable stacktrace using adb dbx debugger on AIX

Symptom warning: adb does not support the aix 4.3 core file format. Change core dump format to dump in the pre-430 style.

Cause Format for core file is set incorrectly at the OS level

Fix Change the core format file on the OS level following way:

Run SMIT (or smitty) --> System Environments --> Change / Show
Characteristics of Operating System --> Use pre-430 style CORE dump.

Set the last option to true and then adb / dbx will be able to read new core files produced (the core file must be created under new settings).
----------------------

hope that helps,

debugger

The DBX seems to work with that format. Do I really need to adjust the format for ADM? Is ADM easier? It sounds like its pretty easy to change the CORE file format. Does this list the Progress programs that are on the stack? or just the C-programs?

Sirs

I hope your still checking this thread.

I changed the format of the core dump to pre 430.
I noticed that it does NOT do a FULL core dump. Does this matter?
I guess I'll find out. By the way where do you get the Premis documentation that you mentioned? Is it on the IBM website?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
BruceD Lindberg said:
The DBX seems to work with that format. Do I really need to adjust the format for ADM? Is ADM easier? It sounds like its pretty easy to change the CORE file format. Does this list the Progress programs that are on the stack? or just the C-programs?

You're only going to get the C call stack.

You used to be able to get the 4GL call stack by sending a SIGUSR1 to the client. That stopped working at some point although it might be worth trying in case they've fixed it again.