I need some advise

CarlosTavares

Good afternoon,
Recently my company has acquired more than 50 Progress OpenEdge Enterprise licenses.
We do not purchase the licenses directly from Progress, we buy from a reseller.
I think these resellers are stealing us, my question is what price do you think is normal for an OpenEdge Enterprise user license?

We are paying around € 950 per user. Do you think this is a lot?

Thanks,
Carlos Tavares

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Pricing is affected by a few factors, including product version, market (e.g. North America, European Union, UK, etc.) and license model. Right now we don't know those details in your case.

Also, I'm not familiar with reseller pricing and whether it differs from application partner arrangements, so I'd be very hesitant to use a word like "stealing".

LarryD

I have to agree with all of Rob's points... and here are other factors:

Do you have replication? That is a separate cost to the reseller per user and hence to you.
Do you have an AppServer or PASOE? That too has a separate cost.
Do you have other licensed OpenEdge products that are included? They too can have additional costs.
Are some/all developer licenses? That is priced differently.
Does it include application software?
Does it include customer support from the reseller?
Is it in the cloud? There are costs associated with this.
Note also there is a separate annual maintenance fee that must be taken into account.
There are other factors I'm likely not thinking of at this point, but per user pricing from a reseller can take many forms and include a number of other costs besides the OpenEdge licenses.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It is a very good idea to gather information before talking to a sales person. An uninformed consumer is an easy mark. Before you know it you will be buying all sorts of crap you have no actual need for.

FWIW 950 euro/user does not strike me as obviously outrageous. But the details might make a difference. The “showcfg” command will list the installed licenses and user counts. From that we could tell you what list price should be. (If you post a screen capture you might want to obscure the license codes and other private info.)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
According to the most recent (March 2018) price list I have handy, enterprise db licenses range from $640 per "named user" to $1,180 per "access agent" (minimum 25). Or $39,785 per CPU. The license model that you have should be on the invoice.

Pricing in euros is usually higher than dollars but I do not have that readily available.

So it sounds to me like you are paying more or less normal prices.