How to supress data dictionary table validation

How to override data dictionary table validation

Hi All,

I want to override the table validation which is specified in data dictionary through programming.

for example:
I have two tables t1 and t2. So in data dictionary for table t2 i'll specify some validation. During programming I want to supress this validation for t2 table. I have tried with validate statement, but it is only at field level.
If any one have done this please let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If you have made the database triggers overridable then you can do:
ON create/delete/write/etc... of table-name override do:
end.

HTH,

Casper.

Casper,

I dont want to overide my trigger. I just want to suppress the validation expression during the execution of program. What ever you specified above works only if my validation expression is within schema trigger. But here it nothing related to trigger. Here they have specified the validation expression explicitly through <validation> option. I just want to suppress this expression.

Thanks

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Validation is different from triggers -- it's the VALIDATE phrase.

The best solution to dictionary validation is, IMHO, to remove it from the dictionary and add "validate" to the keyword forget list.

It made a nice demo in 1985. But by 1986 it was clear that it should never, ever be used in a real application. (Which of course did nothing to stop several notable partner applications from using it...)

Since you state that you are, personally, adding validation to your tables I can only conclude that this is self-inflicted rather than a legacy application issue.

Do not use validation. It is a bad feature. It has no place in a modern application which values the separation of UI, business logic and data access.

If you are stuck with a legacy application or if you are being improperly influenced by exposure to legacy code do not make the problem any worse. Do not introduce new validations and do everything that you can to eliminate those that you stumble across.

TomBascom,

I want to thank you for giving nice suggession. Actually client has already specified the validation expression at table level. I think we want to tell them to remove validation expression at table level and do alternative for the same.
I thank all for their efforts.

Prasad

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Casper,

I dont want to overide my trigger. I just want to suppress the validation expression during the execution of program. What ever you specified above works only if my validation expression is within schema trigger. But here it nothing related to trigger. Here they have specified the validation expression explicitly through <validation> option. I just want to suppress this expression.

Thanks

Hmm was a bit too hasty, I /thought/ you where talking about triggers... :)

Casper.