Answered How to grant read write access to new DB users

Venkateswarlu N

Hi Seniors:)

I am having to connect to progress DB using a Progress OpenEdge 10.2B driver. And I succeeded, but am not able to access data(tables). And the error is 'Access Denied(7512).'

I looked up on this error and saw that I have to grant read & write privileges to my new user 'admin'.
But the problem is that I do not know the password of the user who created this DB 'administrator'.

So, could you please help me understand on what could be done here and how I can grant necessary privileges to my user.

Thanks,
Venky

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You should create a DBA user that you can use to perform such tasks. That user can then be used to run a SQL script to grant the select privilege to your admin user for each table that it should be able to read. DBA users have database-wide privileges but regular users have to be granted privileges on a per-table basis.

This article should help you with the steps:
Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/20143/p

Venkateswarlu N

@Rob Fitzpatrick

I looked at the KB article before and after your reply, but I don't see anything about creating a new DBA user.

I mean, it talks about creating a new database and getting a DBA automatically.
My problem here is I have a DB created already, but do not know the password of the 'administrator' to connect to DB.

And the new users I created do not have DBA access.

Thanks,
Venky

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you can log in via 4GL, create a user called "sysprogress". Then log in to the database at the command line via SQL Explorer (sqlexp) with that userid. E.g.:
sqlexp dbname -S <SQL broker port no.> -user sysprogress -pass <sysprogress' password>
At the sqlexp prompt, create a SQL user and grant it DBA and resource privileges.

This article explains the steps:
How to grant a new user dba priviledges in SQL.
knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000031840/p

Once you are done you can remove the sysprogress user again. I hope this helps.

Venkateswarlu N

Thanks @Rob Fitzpatrick.

It works now.

I saw two users in _sysdbauth and read on an article to not use 'sysprogress' so was breaking my head with 'administrator'.

I was now able to grant access using 'sysprogress'.

Thanks a lot for ur help:)

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It's best not to leave sysprogress enabled or use it instead of creating a DBA user, but in situations like this you need it.