how to convert a output file or text file to pdf using openedge progress without using pdf include

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
A number of questions would be relevant:
  • Which OE Version?
  • Why not PDF Include?
  • What have you tried so far?

aqeel1506

sorry im new to progress just can do the basics i am trying to figure out how to convert an output file to a pdf file which is then emailed via program directly to the managers email in pdf format. not sure how pdf include works and am still trying to understand it

aqeel1506

progress 11.7
i have tried changing the ext in the program from csv to pdf and it does email pdf but than it will not open as the data format is not compatible with pdf . so with pdfinclude how do i use pdfinclude ?

Hi
Just changing the file extention will not change its content, so if it is originally a csv, this won't magically transform it into a pdf.
Are you already using pdfInclude? Did you try downloading the v3.3 from oehive?
As it is a csv, I guess you want to transform the data in the csv file into a pretty looking pdf document with a table containing the data?
There are tools in pdfInclude to help you do that.
Please confirm then I can point you to the right things to use.
regards
JC

So please first run and have the samples/super/hello.p working - you have to add the pdfinclude folder to PROPATH. This will produce a pdf with the hello world sentence. then come back here ;)

aqeel1506

hi here I have run this hello world with pdf include please can you tell me whats my next step

Attachments

• hello.pdf
    6.8 KB · Views: 17
you have in samples/super an example of table generation.
you can copy it and modify it. The code is commented so you will be able to understand and adapt it.
in order to fill the temp-table, you can read from your file instead of doing "FOR EACH Customer". See the query just below "/* Build my Temp Table Data */". Do you know how to read from a text file?

aqeel1506

/*Do you know how to read from a text file?*/ not sure how to read from a text file is that the output command , sorry im new to progress still learning

or the put command or display?

Last edited:
Hi
To read a file, you do a repeat loop, and import the lines one by one. like that:
Code:
INPUT FROM c:/path/file.csv.
REPEAT
    IMPORT cLine.
    /* here do something with the value of cLine, e.g. you can split it into the fields in the csv line using ENTRY for example */
END.
INPUT CLOSE.
Please experiment with this and read the help for each keyword.
++