How to calculate -Mxs parameter

ganesh

I am able to see 3 diff kind of calculation for -Mxs startup parameter, and im not able to get the clear idea of which one is correct/better and what is the exact use of this parameter.

Can anyone knows abt it and can give the clear idea abt the -Mxs....

Thanks in Advance.

Thank u..

i got an error saying that..
“ Out of free shared memory. Use -Mxs to increase. (6495) “
and my database got down...

so, i tried to get the database up... then i got these 3 type of calculations....

can you please let me know which one i can select/go further to calculate -Mxs..

Thanks.
Praba.

If there were a reliable way to calculate the value I would expect it to be automatically calculated by Progress ;)

It might help a little bit if you told us what version of Progress you are using.

You might also want to post what the 3 calculations that you've found are. Or provide a URL or kbase entry# or something...

Personally I usually just increase it a bit if and when I get the error message. Which is a fairly rare event.

Hi Tom,

Thank u for your replies...

im using

progress version - 9.1D

three calculations:
--------------------
. [16384 + (n*400)] / 1024, where n is the number of users.
. If your system uses a 4 byte integer, then the formula is: 16KB + (n*300).
. For all other systems, the formula is: 16KB + (n*400).

If we are changing the default value of -Mxs, how we can change and in what way we can increase the values...

Thanks,
Praba.

That's not 3 different calculations. That is 3 steps in obtaining one result.

You're running 9.1D so the chances are pretty good that you are on a 32 bit platform (even though you continue to keep important details like the OS that you're using secret). That means that you have 4 byte integers.

To find the current value of -Mxs grep the database .lg file for "Mxs":

grep Mxs dbname.lg | tail

You can also often make this error go away by increasing -B.

BTW 9.1D is ancient and unsupported. At the very least you should upgrade to 9.1E04 which is still ancient but at least sort of supported and which contains lots of bug fixes and performance enhancements. Best of all would be to upgrade to OE10.1C.

Back