How to Appserver broker failover setup when loadbalancing ?

grunnpi

Hello all,

In our application, we use several appservers.
One of them, as central box, is set load balanced (3 instances).

But we had during daiy activity, one agent crashing bad throwing an "java.out.of.memory" exception at broker level.
After that, each agent requested on this particular broker was stuck and freeze... finaly crashing down our whole activity.

I thought we had a "failover" setup, meaning if one broker freeze or timeout other one should handle request... but I understand it's only if appserver broker stop completly that other will take over.

Is there a safer way to set these appserver to handle frozen broker request ?

(not sure being completly clear in my explanation... dont hesitate to ask me further information)

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers,

Pierre.

RealHeavyDude

I think what you require is only achievable with a proactive management which will detect such a scenario and shut down the offending AppServer broker. AFAIK the load balancing and fail over for AppServer relies on the name servers. As long as the AppServer is registered at the name servers as available the names severs will route clients to this AppServer although it is in limbo. One way to proactively monitor the OpenEdge services is OpenEdge management but AFAIK it's expensive and maybe too much for you. If that's the case you need to roll your own.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

grunnpi

Well, as usual, very thank you RealHeavyDude !
Now I know.

Before installing OE Mgt, we will try using some jvm monitoring tool in order to check broker activity.
Every one, you may advise me a tool that could fit ?

Cheers.