How can we run a DB to read only mode .

Hi All,

I want to run a DB in Read Only mode .
Users may access data through Application but should not be allowed to modify it .(like a PDF file)
Please let me know how can i go ahead.

Thanks .

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You have three options:

1) The poor man's solution is to start individual sessions with -RO. The downside to this is that your sessions may crash if other sessions update data in a manner that makes it appear to be corrupt (because your -RO session will not see changes that are being made in shared memory). Generally speaking this option is really only usable for unimportant, occasional read-only access.

2) Implement OE Replication Plus. This will allow you to run read-only sessions against the replication target complete with real-time updates and all of the benefits of shared memory sessions. The downside is that you have to purchase OE Replication Plus licenses.

3) Write lots and lots of probably very buggy code to try to enforce such a feature at the application level. Good luck. It will also ultimately probably cost more (in programmer time) than OE Repl+.

rzr

I not sure if the database can be made read-only. There's the -RO startup parameter... but never really used it..so not sure how it works...
We generally maintain such checks / edit restrictions on specific db tables...

RealHeavyDude

Never tried this myself but you could provide the database on a read-only media (like a CD, DVD or BD) and start session with the -RO parameter against it.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.