Help, OS limited.

gus

When I backup the data to disk using probkup, it prompted "File size limit exceeded. (3697)", I can't backup a file over 2G, how should I do? thanks so much.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
What OS are you using (always name OS, Progress version and Service Pack level in your post)? Check the ulimits for the users. If you have unix you can do:
ulimit -a > /tmp/ulimit.txt look for the ulimit for file.

HTH,

Casper.

gus

Casper said:
What OS are you using (always name OS, Progress version and Service Pack level in your post)? Check the ulimits for the users. If you have unix you can do:
ulimit -a > /tmp/ulimit.txt look for the ulimit for file.

HTH,

Casper.
mmm>uname -a
mfgpro mfgpro 4.0 3.0 SKA40 Pentium III(TM)-ISA/PCI
Ncr Unix.

mmm>ulimit -a
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) unlimited
coredump(blocks) 65536
nofiles(descriptors) 512
vmemory(kbytes) unlimited

PROGRESS PATCH Version 8.3B05

Thanks, this is the information, what can I do? please advise.

ddavis

Check out the -vs param.

probkup dbname dbname.01.bak -vs db_blocks_per_output_file

It will prompt for the next file name after it writes db_blocks_per_output_file blocks. ie, if you have 8k db and you use -vs 220000, then the dbname.01.bak file will be (about?) 1,760,000 ...

Hope that helps.

DD

gus

ddavis said:
Check out the -vs param.

probkup dbname dbname.01.bak -vs db_blocks_per_output_file

It will prompt for the next file name after it writes db_blocks_per_output_file blocks. ie, if you have 8k db and you use -vs 220000, then the dbname.01.bak file will be (about?) 1,760,000 ...

Hope that helps.

DD

Thanks! It's worked but when I using this to backup, another system in the same version and same machine hanged. why?

ddavis

In what way did the machine hang?

Did you use different filenames for the second db?

Is the second db running or not? I'm not sure about online backups in 8.3.

What size are the db's you want to backup, and how much disk space do you have in the backup target location?

What block size are each db? A different block size setting on the db changes the amount of space a -vs file uses.

Using the -vs param is an interactive command line program. It will prompt you for the next filename once it fills the first file to the specified size. If you tried to run from at, cron, or in the background without providing redirected input, it will hang waiting for you to provide filenames.

We need more info to help you. Saying something doesn't work doesn't give us a lot of clues.

Hope that helps.

gus

ddavis said:
In what way did the machine hang?

Did you use different filenames for the second db?

Is the second db running or not? I'm not sure about online backups in 8.3.

What size are the db's you want to backup, and how much disk space do you have in the backup target location?

What block size are each db? A different block size setting on the db changes the amount of space a -vs file uses.

Using the -vs param is an interactive command line program. It will prompt you for the next filename once it fills the first file to the specified size. If you tried to run from at, cron, or in the background without providing redirected input, it will hang waiting for you to provide filenames.

We need more info to help you. Saying something doesn't work doesn't give us a lot of clues.

Hope that helps.
DD, Thanks for your help, this is it:
We have 1 prod and 2 test env on the same machine, and different db name. I using the offline mode to backup the test env with the same version with prod, and the db size about 10G, and target location is 20G.
when the backup is to the 3rd file(about 1G each one), It seems there are not enough resource to start up a new session for the prodcution env, and the started session of production is dead, no response.
I just wondering I am backing up the test env, why the prod(the same version with the backup test env) hung,and another test environment with the different version worked well.
If it caused by the resource, why another version's env worked well?