Help Needed - Progress DB Restore

Reynold

Hello All,

I am very new to progress DB administration.

Recently I got a progress backup file (.bk) from third party. And we need the data from that backup file for some analysis.
So kindly help me, I will really be thankful to you...

My doubts are:
1) How I will get to know that the backup (.bk) which I received, is from which database?
2) We have progress installed on our local sytem (9.1d 9.1e 10.1a 10.1b ..), so how I can do restore of that back file? like what steps I need to follow for backup restore locally on my system and can see the data?
3) From where I need to run "prorest" command? I mean, do I need to run it from proenv?
4) Once Restore complete, where exactly it will save the DB.
5) Finally, how I will be able to see the Data?

I will be really very thankful to you, if you explain in easy steps as I am very beginner to DB administration.

Thanks,
Reynold

Reynold

Thanks Tom...
The -list parameter in prorest will help in any way for it .. to recognise or to get to know the version in which backup is taken?

ok If I know it is from 9.1e, then could you please guide me with the doubt steps I mentioned in the Mail....

I will be really very thankful to you ...

Kindly help ...

Reynold

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) Open a "proenv" window
2) cd to some directory with lots of free space
3) prorest dbname dbname.bk
4) pro dbname

If you want to control where the database extents are located (other than the current directory) or their sizes then you need to create dbname.st and specify your desires in that file.

You should also get some training before you find yourself in a whole lot of trouble.