help......**could not connect to server for database....errno 0 (1432)

JRVAIT

Something strange has happened but I will try my best to explain. Our Progress server (11.7) was updated with a lot of patches on Friday 12/20 after work hours. Our database application was working fine throughout the day. On Monday 12/23 my coworker texted me and said the database was down. The service account we used was no longer able to start the database so he had to manually start the database and remain logged onto the server the entire day. A pain to deal with but it allowed our users to connect to the database and work.
I return to work today and I can log onto the server and start the database BUT no clients are able to connect. They get the error 0 (1432) message. Strange thing is that I can run and log in as a client while on the server and it works.
I checked the services file on my workstation and nothing has changed. I can ping the progress server and access file shares with no problem.

JRVAIT

Thanks for the link.

Windows Server 2016

We are good on the licensing so that checks out OK.

My gut feeling is that traffic from clients to the server might be getting blocked. Nothing else comes to mind. The services file on the clients and server all have the same port #. If client communication isn't being blocked then it would have to be that the clients can't see the server due to a configuration issue, which shouldn't be the case because nothing has changed.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Do you have a hardware firewall between the clients and server? Or did the OS update process enable the software firewall on the DB server? That could explain the symptoms you describe, if the broker port was open in the firewall but the server ports were not.

JRVAIT

Just a follow-up on this. I discovered what the problem was. It was a Windows firewall issue that was blocking all incoming traffic to the Progress database. The firewall somehow got enabled (maybe from one of the numerous Windows updates that were recently installed?). It was easy to overlook since we have McAfee HIP but that was showing nothing. I kept digging thru the Windows logs and came across the Windows Firewall logs and bingo.