Future of progress

Arunselvan

is progress have good scope?can i get good pay in future?
to survive in this except DB administration what i have to study?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
A huge amount of this depends on where you are working. I would suggest you learn to write Progress code. I would doubt that many companies would be willing to hire a Progress DBA solely for their skills as a DBA. Most would also be expected to code when not doin DBA work.

RealHeavyDude

As far as I can remember, Progress always marketed their database as that it does not need a dedicated DBA. IMHO, depending on the system, that is not really true. Nevertheless I agree with Cringer in that most companies wouldn't hire a dedicated Progress DBA just for his DBA skills. Plus, modern applications are maybe not build client/server anymore and may involve the AppServer or are even Web applications. Therefore you should make yourself familiar with the Progress AppServer and I can only second Cringer in that you should make yourself familiar with the ABL.

Progress installations and knowledge, both DBA and application development, is not spread widely therefore not many companies are looking for out. But the ones that do are having a hard time to find seasoned pros.
Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I am guessing you are based in India. In that case I suspect that Progress is going to have a pretty big future in your country as there seem to be a lot of people training to use the systems at the moment. That would suggest a number of companies are starting to develop Progress applications.

raviraju

look as compare to oracle it is less expensive and i think there is some

difference but both have rdbms cocepts..but way to work is difference.

thats the main diffrence .. but DBA MEANS DATABASE ADMNISTRATOR.. WHETHER FROM

PROGREE OR ORACLE ...

Arunselvan

thank u dude....could u pls tell me about the progress coding stuff that i want to study...i mean the technical name of the coding things...

TomBascom

Curmudgeon

You can also get this PPT directly from the source -- PUG Challenge Americas! http://pugchallenge.org/slides/ProgressVsOracle.pptx

Better yet -- attend PUG Challenge Americas 2012 and learn all about "Performance Testing Progress and Oracle" from Dmitri Levin as well as 45 or so other excellent topics covering all of the things that you are asking questions about :)

http://pugchallenge.org