Future Of Progress Rdbms/4gl

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You seen to share in a common misperception. The only difference between ABL and 4GL is branding. It is a marketing shift, not a technical one. Any program written when the language was called 4GL will work in an environment where it is branded ABL and you can continue to use the same tools and techniques you always have.

True, since 10.1A there are new opportunities to use OO and a new IDE based on Eclipse, but these are just part of the continuing evolution of the language and the toolset. The rebranding to ABL occurred prior to those changes and is not connected to those changes.

pravin kumar

Hello everybody....this discussion is old...NOW in 2013 i got the opportunity in the Progress 4GL ....
Now in 2013 is there in good future in PROGRESS.
or i should quit from this technology.
plz answer.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
What's the question? PSC is still selling more licenses, i.e., growing, so the opportunity is growing. There are lots of new technologies to use so there is the challenge of new things. One of the big challenges these days is legacy apps which are largely unchanged for 20 years which need modernization. Exciting stuff, I think.