File transfer from UNIX server to local hard disk

rbilgin

hi,
we are using eB2.1 SP6 (QAD 2007.1) with .NETUI 2.5.3 on a UNIX server.
as already known, we are also experiencing the problem of saving the reports on clients' local HDD.
i searched this forum and found out that people have had this problem before.
but i just wanna make sure if there are any new and easy-to-use workarounds for this problem in the recent years (last post i read is dated 2004)

rbilgin

users cannot save the reports to their local drives.
all reports remain on the server in a single directory.
therefore it gets hard for users to be able to distinguish their own reports.
i know that this issue has been fixed with the newest version of .NETUI (2.7) but it is only compatible with SP8 and does not support SP6.
what i am trying to find out is a practical solution to this problem of .NETUI 2.5
hope this helps.

Share a folder on the client PC.
Use SAMBA to share the unix folder with this, when a file is created the user can see it in windows explorer (real time)

If you are using different login in UNIX then everyone file is viewed by everyone.

rbilgin

how will the user know which file belongs to him if everybody can see the same directory then?
because print files do not have specific names related to usernames.

rbilgin

so eventually, will the users be able to save their reports on local drives of their PCs if we use SAMBA?
(i am not that familiar with Unix and it is the first time I hear about Samba).

rbilgin

Share a folder on the client PC.
Use SAMBA to share the unix folder with this, when a file is created the user can see it in windows explorer (real time)

If you are using different login in UNIX then everyone file is viewed by everyone.

so SAMBA will help us to share the UNIX folder with the shared folder on client PC, right?
what does this do basically? are different folders created for each user?
what does the using of SAMBA actually do?

so SAMBA will help us to share the UNIX folder with the shared folder on client PC, right? Yes
what does this do basically? Share between systems
are different folders created for each user? No
what does the using of SAMBA actually do? Sharing.

Google search on how to share windows/linux