Error Starting Protop

kblackwel

Not expecting muche help with this, but any would be appreciated.

trying to get protop v9.1 GUI to run. Only problem I'm having is I keep getting an error from

lib/vstlib.p
Database Empty not connected.

Well, that isn't true. I can run protop on the actual server and it has no problem connecting to the database. And the progress application that we have can access the database. I even looked in the other .pf files to verify port and other setting. They all look good.

We're running Progress 9.1d

Thanks in advance.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I'll spare you the "v9 is ancient, obsolete and unsupported" lecture since you are clearly looking to improve your lot in life ;)

Do not attempt to run the v9 GUI ProTop. It was a bad idea.

A very bad idea.

Are you still trying? If so then you might be having trouble because I may have foolishly compiled the r-code against "empty" rather than "dictdb". The cure for that would be to run "compile on the file" by deleting the r-code. (You will need a minimum "query-runtime" compiler license for that to work.)

You can run the new OpenEdge 10.2A + GUI ProTop against a v9 db. You just need one 10.2 client somewhere. You could even download the 10.2 eval kit from PSDN for that purpose.

The character ProTop will also work on a Windows PC. Just run it with _progres.exe rather than _prowin32.exe.

kblackwel

Well,

I think I'm going to see if I can track down 10.2A and stop trying with 9.1 gui per your suggestion.

Thank you very much for your response.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you can come up with the 10.2A license, it is a much nicer presentation and a richer tool ... although a bit limited in what it can show you on a 9.1D database since there were a bunch of things not there yet back then.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
No, but there is a full bore 10.2A eval on PSDN. That is more than good enough. It will expire, but it will give you a taste ... and maybe even help convince the company to upgrade!

kblackwel

Well,

These are the licenses they sent me. What do I need to install for the gui?

OpenEdge Architect Tutorial
OE Application Server
OpenEdge Enterprise RDBMS
OpenEdge Replication
OpenEdge Management
Sonic Workbench

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Did you download the OpenEdge Evaluation Kit? (It can be found here: http://web.progress.com/openedge/)

The licenses that you list are close but I would have thought that you would have a license for "OpenEdge Development" -- not a "Tutorial". But I haven't downloaded this beast for a while so perhaps I am mis-remembering. Anyhow, any license that lets you write and/or execute 4GL code should do just fine.

kblackwel

Opps,

I must have missed that when I pasted.

I ded get a license for just the

OpenEdge Architect

and

OpenEdge Architect Tutorial

I'm installing that and I'll see how far I can get.

Again thanks you both for your time.

Kevin

kblackwel

Just an update.

I installed Architect ran proTop and it came right up.

This program provides the exact information I needed.

Thank you for your help.

Kevin