Error Error During Database Dump On Oe 11.3

Potish

I am in process of testing a system upgrade from OE 11.1 on Windows 2008 server to OE 11.3 on Windows 2012 server. We currently have a procedure that we run to do a dump data frm our current databases. When I try to run the database dump from the new version I get the following error

** Unable to open C:\Databases\databaseABC.lk, error code 13. (316)
Event Logger error: Could not find 'PROMSGS.DLL'. (5194)

What would cause this error?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Can you describe your servers in more detail? From the first sentence I thought it was a Server 2008 machine with 11.1 and a Server 2012 machine with 11.3. But then you said "...I try to run the database dump from the new version". Do you have both 11.1 and 11.3 installed on the old server where I presume you are running the dump?

Potish

Can you describe your servers in more detail? From the first sentence I thought it was a Server 2008 machine with 11.1 and a Server 2012 machine with 11.3. But then you said "...I try to run the database dump from the new version". Do you have both 11.1 and 11.3 installed on the old server where I presume you are running the dump?
To clarify - we currently have OE 11.1 installed on a machine running Windows 2008 server. We are migrating to a new machine that has OE 11.3 installed that is running Windows 2012 Server.
There is no shared hardware or software between the two installations.

TheMadDBA

The first error is a permissions or path issue... the second error means that your environment variables/INI file settings are wrong and it can't find the DLL file.

Do manual connections work?

Potish

The first error is a permissions or path issue... the second error means that your environment variables/INI file settings are wrong and it can't find the DLL file.

Do manual connections work?
Yes manual connections work. I am able to connect to the databases from the character client, GUI client, Database Administrator and even Progress Explorer for WebSpeed.

I believe the dump procedure is also connecting to the databases because it is able to dump the data definitions and sequence current values. Error looks to occur when it attempts to create a list of tables to be dumped.

TheMadDBA

That would be a strange error to get while already connected to the database. Is your program trying to reconnect to the DB or a different DB?

Is the dump procedure running from a scheduled task as a different user than you are logging in as?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It's a Server 2012 issue I can almost guarantee it. Run your proenv/cmd session as administrator and see if that fixes it. If you're already doing then run the session without administrator elevation and see if that works. It depends on who created the database. I haven't found a pattern as yet, but it sucks.

Potish

It's a Server 2012 issue I can almost guarantee it. Run your proenv/cmd session as administrator and see if that fixes it. If you're already doing then run the session without administrator elevation and see if that works. It depends on who created the database. I haven't found a pattern as yet, but it sucks.
I will try this and see if it helps. It's really odd because we have dump and load procedures and the load procedure worked just fine which is how I created and loaded the databases on the machine running OE 11.3 on Windows 2012 server.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but prepare yourself for a world of these sorts of problems with 2012. Yes it's a lot more secure than previous releases but you have to sometimes jump through some horrible hoops to get things working.
One thing I've still not managed successfully is task scheduler jobs that spawn a GUI window. This just fails. Granted I no longer maintain that system, so it's possible they've solved it or others have, but it's been the cause of much head banging on my part.

Potish

That would be a strange error to get while already connected to the database. Is your program trying to reconnect to the DB or a different DB?

Is the dump procedure running from a scheduled task as a different user than you are logging in as?
The dump is not running from a scheduled task. I am starting the dump each time using a simple DOS .dat file.

I need to check on the reconnect to the DB, but the dump procedure should not be trying to reconnect as the .dat file starts and ends each dump request.