Disable an _user?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I have a federated app (2 DBs) with its own application user table, for login at the app level. We are using _user; creating a user in the app also creates _user records in each of the DBs. Similarly, deleting app users deletes the corresponding _user records. We also have a facility for disabling app-level users, e.g. for violations of failed password attempt limits, etc.

Question: is it possible to disable a DB user?

I see a _Disabled field in _User, so I thought maybe this is possible. Having played with it a bit however, I'm not sure it's going to help me. In my testing, setting _Disabled to yes doesn't prevent a login. In the DB I looked at it was set to unknown in all records. So I thought maybe the field was added recently, for future use, but now I doubt that as well. Having checked a few DLCs it looks like it was added somewhere between 9.1E and 10.0B; a long time ago, in any case. Is this maybe used by DataServers with non-Progress DBs? That's a side question; just curious really. What I really want to know is if there is a reliable way to disable a user, as opposed to deleting them. I'm guessing "no". :)